Chapter 12 - Nothing But A Pawn

Start from the beginning

I squeaked when I heard the last sentence. Before I could think, I ran past Sapphire towards the door to the right. I turned the knob and made sure it was locked. I also shoved the nearby chair under it for good measure. It won't hold but at least it would make some noise when the door was opened.

I looked back towards Sapphire and saw that she had this perplexed look in her face. It was a good thing however when she chose not to comment on what I just did for I, myself, don't know what came over me.

"It's okay, Sapphire. I don't need help with my bath. I'll just have a quick shower," I told her.

"We'll just be outside the door, your highness. We'll escort you to the dining room after your bath," she said. The three bowed once more and exited the room.

I bathed quickly and re-emerged from the bathroom fifteen minutes later. A simple black dress was laid out for me on the bed. It looked like the material was made of velvet and it certainly looked expensive. I flipped the dress over and started looking for price tags but sadly there was none. But I didn't need any price tag to tell me how expensive this little black dress is.

The three ladies – maybe I should call them gems from now on – accompanied me and we walked down the corridors again. There were many twists and turns before we ended up in front of another set of golden doors. As I left my room, I made a mental note to remember every room in this large palace or I might just find myself getting lost. But I lost track of it in just about the third turn.

Two guards were situated outside the double doors and they immediately stood straight and bowed as I approached.

They bowed to me as they opened the doors. The first thing I saw was him.

It's just like in my dreams. Whenever he was near, I could feel him. In a crowded room, my eyes would search for him and find him first. He wore a black long-sleeved shirt, black pants, black boots. No armor and no cape today and this must be the most casual clothing I've seen him in – apart from my dreams, of course.

He had his back turned as he stared absent-mindedly at the wall while clutching a glass of wine in his hand. He turned as though sensing me and our eyes met from across the room. Quickly, I looked away.

My jaw dropped as I beheld the most opulent dining hall I've ever seen. A long banquet table stood in the middle of the room. It was made of black marble while the legs were solid gold. Platinum plates and tableware were laid out and it contrasted nicely with the dark color of the table. I looked up and saw a huge chandelier which was made of diamonds. It cast an ethereal light over the dining hall.

Towards the left and the right of the room stood many servants who wore the same dark uniforms and carried golden trays.

"We'll return shortly. If you need anything, just call our names," Ruby told me. Before I can acknowledge her statement, the three of them exited the door.

Well, this is it, Aerith.

Hades pulled out a chair for me and I sat. Right away, a servant approached and placed a napkin on my lap. "Uh. Thanks," I murmured. My eyes widened as I saw the food spread out in the table. As if on cue, my stomach rumbled in reply.

Hades smiled as he took a seat. His was at the head of the long table and mine was to his right. "I hope the food is to your liking," he said.

At this point, I was beyond words. The food being served was a banquet fit to feed an army. Every food that comes to mind when someone says the word 'breakfast' is here. There was toasted bread, bacon, pancakes, waffles, hotdogs, bagel, cream cheese as well as slices of different kinds of cheese, butter, jars of various fruit jams, a bowl filled with fruits, eggs cooked in every way possible, yogurt, and so much more!