28. ✭ my favorite mistake

Start from the beginning

I kissed the side of her head and tried to fight back tears at the way she squeezed me a little bit tighter. I just nodded back at her when she eyed me, trying to figure out whether she'd be okay or not once Vince was out.

"Alright" she smiled when I pulled away, and my heart got more than heavy at the sight of her mascara smudged underneath her eyes.

Tommy grabbed at my hand when Beth and I, kind of, said our goodbyes, and went to lead me to the front door before I let out a gasp and spun around.

"Anthony, Lucas" they both raised their brows, staring at me, "keep Nikki distracted today. Please. He can't know where I am."

"And where exactly are you?"

"Spending the day with Beth" I nodded to her and she smiled, dabbing a few tears away. "If you just say we're out with Elle, he won't even bother to press on. But if he does, we're viewing houses for when the divorce goes through, and we're going out to lunch. Again, like I said, he won't care all that much, but tell him I'll be home by tonight."

"Alright...what if he asks where Tommy is?"

We both looked to one another before Tommy was coughing and gesturing to the pair. "I'm with my parents for their anniversary. If he asks what we're doing, we're in Malibu. He probably won't care to ask because he and Mick know it's my parents' anniversary soon but, dude, for the love of god, just don't rat your sister out."

"We've got it" Lucas smiled and I just felt myself starting to well up, thankful that my brothers wanted to do something like that for me, but also feeling guilty as fuck for lying to my husband.

"Oh and girls" Helen barely lifted her head and Lauren mumbled something to herself, before throwing a weak smirk my way. "You need to get the fuck out before Nikki realizes that you're both still here--"

"--what!? Why!?"

"Because you've both been here for, what? Three days already? And you've been nothing but a pair of bitches this whole time." I folded over my arms while they both looked a little reminiscent, probably remembering the way that they had talked to Nikki, and even myself, in his own house.

"Oh my god" he palmed his forehead, scowling at my sisters. "If you--either one of you--tell me that my fucking shirt needs ironing one more damn time--"

"--do you just have no self respect? Do you just go out in public looking sloppy and untidy? Does Christine never fucking do anything for you?" Helen asked and I almost boiled over, but I didn't. Nikki, however...

"She's my fucking wife, not my goddam maid!"

"And she should be taking care of you and this house, but she fucking doesn't! You're a mess, Nikki. Look at your clothes!" She gestured to his pants, that I thought looked fine, and his shirt that had a couple of creases on the sleeves from where he'd rolled them up.

Lauren turned her nose up while Anthony just watched on, my heart hammering in my chest because I wasn't sure if he would remark something had Nikki overstepped a boundary.

"Just because you're a rockstar, doesn't mean that you can leave the house looking like that" Lauren added. "And also, you talk to us like we're trash. We're your wife's family! Treat us with a little bit of respect."