47. ✭ strength of a woman

Warning(s): smut, mentions of suicide, drug abuse and abortion

A super long chapter as an apology for not updating for two weeks...I'll try to get better with this uploading thing.

That day was up there with the worst of her life.

It wasn't the worst--that was reserved for the day that Christine's mother shot herself in her childhood home--but it was one of the worst.

Finding out that she was pregnant with the child she never wanted was one thing, but coming face to face with the man with which she took part in a very dangerous affair was another entirely.

She just wanted the ground to open up and swallow her whole. Anything to avoid confronting her most heinous plight.

It baffled her, really. Why the fuck was Tommy even there? How was that man, who should have been writing and recording his band's next album, in another city entirely? And that bar...What appeal did Cassandra's have to him? What did that run-down joint in the middle of Downtown Vancouver have, that all of the other establishments didn't?

Maybe it was the allure of the busty redhead, coaxing customers in with her warm smile, or the neon sign indicating 'five-dollar Friday where Nicole and her colleagues offered bundles of cheap booze to customers.

Or maybe it was just a coincidence. A sick, extremely unfortunate, coincidence that saw Christine's body lock up as her heart hurdled into her throat.

Trepidation prevailed, anxiety sailed through her system, and she was suddenly very aware that Tommy had this brand new, crucial, piece of information he could have held against her. And, realistically, what was stopping him from telling Nikki the whereabouts of his estranged wife?

God, I think I'm about to throw up.

But, then again, that sudden wave of nausea could've been down to a multitude of reasons. Christine was willing to slap a wad of fifties down onto the table and bet that she was feeling that way because everything had hit her all at once.

Up until that day, she had no inkling that she was pregnant. Absolutely none. She did have some symptoms fairly recently, but she pinned the bloating and sickness down to the fact that she wasn't using anymore and alcohol was slowly losing its appeal. Never once did she think that she was pregnant.

She and Nikki were never safe. Ever. So, why did it happen at that point in their lives? Why couldn't it have happened when they were both genuinely happy with one another, and when Christine wasn't being consumed by insatiable guilt?

As sick as it sounds, that was a pivotal moment. It forced her to recognize that it wasn't all about her anymore and, although she was scheduled for a termination, she had to think about her unborn child too.