Broken Chain

Melanie Hill's Point Of View

Loud cheers and dust flew around the track. My ears were ringing by the high volume of the crowd and host as he spoke into the microphone. Dad made his way to the front of the crowd to get a better view of my brother, who was in the race. I sat back by our van drawing a new engine I was planning on making for my own bike while watching the race play out.

One of the other contestants drove his bike behind Miles smacking into the back of the motorcycle as they turned on a curve. My brother's bike flipped and he fell on the side. Miles looks at the dirt covered ground and picks up the chain, which was supposed to be attached to the bike.

Dad shakes his head and walks over to me hands on his hips, Miles not far behind pushing the motorcycle. I place down my notebook and rush over to my brother upset, "I lost it in the last turn."

Rolling my eyes, I took the vehicle from him, "I know, I saw it. Bad time to have a chain snap. Got it?" I said annoyed, then picked up the front of the bike and placed it on the rack so it could stand.

"Do we have a spare?" Dad asked and I laughed sarcastically. He eyes me knowing what I was going to say.

"That was the spare, honey." Smiling tightly I take the chain from my brothers hands and push past them to get my toolbox. Dad shakes his head chuckling at my attitude.

Miles opens a bottle of water and chugs it, I hum amused as he spits out a bit when he saw the guy from before arrive to his stop and take off his shirt showing off his body to a crowd that formed around him. Holding back the urge to roll my eyes I begin to tighten the screws on the bike. Looking to the side I catch the eye of a girl sitting under a tent by the dickheads station, but look away when she sees me staring.

"I'll be right back," Dad says shortly then walks over to the Fontaine station, where the boy that hurt my baby was.

My brother was about to head over after him but I stop him, grabbing his hand and placing the wrench in his palm, "You stay and work on the bike." He rolls his eyes though nods going back to his bike.

I walk over to my dad and stand beside him placing my hand on my hips. "My name is Chuck, Chuck Hill, and this is my daughter, Melanie, and over there is my son, Miles."

The boy grins and stretches his hand for me to shake, not wanting to be rude I grab it and shake it quickly and firmly, "tough luck on that turn." I give him a nod and take my hand back wiping it on the back of my ripped jeans when he look away.

An older man wearing sunglasses steps forward and shakes my dads hand. "Listen, I'm sorry, but we got a little favor to ask." My dad says hesitant, I sigh and step forward.

Crossing my arms I cut to the chase, "Our chain broke, and we were wondering if you guys had an extra?" The two males stare at me in surprise and my father wraps his arm around my shoulders proudly.

"Oh, yeah. Those things are always crapping out on us too." The boys father says walking backwards, stopping once next to his blue motorcycle. "Next time, though, you might want to spend more than 20 bucks on a chain, 'cause they're kind of important." He smirks taking of his glasses.

Shaking my head I laugh, "We'll pay you back, we have the money. Just came up short-" The boy my age cuts me off making me glare at him.

"It happens, man. Probably got a couple, right?" He turns to what I assume is his friend and tells him to grab one of the chains behind him.

His dad stops the boy and shakes his head, "Hey, we got one spare. We can't part with it, 'cause we got another race, right?" He lies and gives us a shit eating grin and I tense annoyed. I look away as my dad squeezes his grip on my shoulder to calm me down. "You understand, don't you?"

My eyes fall on the girl from before, she rips a page from her small notebook and crumples it up then tosses it into the trash bin, she misses and I turn to the man nodding like the mature woman I've grown to be. Though I still had the urge to kick him in the balls. "It's cool, we get it. We really do."

"Just thought we'd ask, thanks anyway. Come on Mel." My dad says pulling me back slightly then lets go and makes his way over to Miles. Sighing I walk over to the trash bin quickly and pick up the piece of paper then jog over to my family.

When I'm close I uncrumple it smiling softly realizing it was a sketch of my face. Dad calls me over and I put the paper in my front pocket then rush over to him. Miles sits by inside the open van and I lean on the broken chair beside the bike. I stared down at the chain in my hands sighing, tensing when I look up and see the girl from before standing in front of me with a smile.

"Is this what you were looking for?" She asks handing me a rectangular box smiling. "I wasn't here." The girl sings before walking backwards and leaving.

A grin spreads on my face as I pull out the gold tinted chain. I look at my dad and he smirks for a different reason than me. "Stop, just pass me the wrench." He raises his hands up in defense and does as I said. Crouching, I pull my hair up into a high ponytail then began to attach the chain to the motorcycle, happily looking up at my brother who made his way to me. He hugged me and smiled before leaving getting into place for the last race.