Chapter 4

"Honey!" my mom greeted me. She smiled widely and hugged me hard. "Guess what?"

"Uh, you bought yourself a new purse?" I said confused.

She frowned. "You always guess the same thing."

I raised an eyebrow. "And I was right half the time."

She waved my remark with her hand.

"No, something to with you!"

I thought hard for a while. Then it struck me.

"No way." I stared at my mom hard.

"Yes way!" she said excitedly.

"You bought me a car!" I started to run to the garage. "Mom, you're the best!"

"That wasn't it!" my mom called behind me.

I skidded to a stop. "What?" I felt my heart breaking.

My mom looked at me in disappointment in a you-should-know-better look.

Then her smile returned and said, "I got you a job!"

"What?"

"Aliya, baby, I know you always wanted a job so I got you one!"

Tears were starting to brim in my eyes. "I wanted a car not a job!"

The motherly look of disappointment reappeared in her eyes. "Honey," she began in a stern tone, "you know life is not easy. You have to earn what you want."

"I know..." I sighed in defeat. "Okay, what kind of job is it?"

"Oh, you know, a regular kind of job. Good money." My mom turned away.

"Oh, is that chili I smell?"

"Oh come on, Mom! Off topic much?"

"It's a tutoring job."

"Okay... Elementary school, middle school...?"

"High school."

My eyes widened.

"For who?"

"A really rich family. You'll get enough money to buy a car in a matter of months." My mom rambled on.

"Who?"

"A teenage boy in the Farwell family."

"Mom! You know I don't like them!"

"But your father does."

"Darn you, you old man."

"Anyways, Mr. Farwell told your father that Danny needed some tutoring so your father suggested -"

"More like made me." I remarked.

"Anyways the point is Danny needs tutoring and his father is willing to pay a great sum of money for it."

"So you're forcing me into this." I accused.

My mom tilted her head to the side for a moment. "Yeah, pretty much."

"Ugh. You're horrible!" I stomped up the stairs to my bedroom.

"You know it's because I love you!" she yelled.

"Love to torture me!" I yelled back.

This was too much. First he has exactly the same classes as me then now I have to tutor him. The horror of it all was that he was the guy I absolutely despise. Pick anybody in the world and it just had to be him.

I laid down on my bed taking it all in. If I was anybody else, like Lizah or Taylor, it would be a dream come true. If I was anybody else but myself this wouldn't be so bad.

But no, I was just Aliya. Probably the only girl the world who wasn't attracted to Danny Farwell.

I sighed at the revelation. Rolling and during the motion twisting the neatly placed sheets I closed my eyes hoping to sleep this all away.