34 In Truth As Well As Name 2/4

Start from the beginning

That was the reason it was so cold tonight. With the clear sky came the cold.

My breath emerged in the air in front of me, a ghostly plume. I did not hesitate a moment longer. Going to the men's tent, I reached beneath the flap to tug the ties loose. When I had made enough space to fit through, I slipped inside.

Immediately I knelt upon something warm. "Ao?" Sanli's voice softly enquired.

I saw the little prince sit up, in the middle of the other two men.

"Move over," I said. Sanli tried to oblige, in the limited space of the small tent. I crawled toward him.

"What is she doing? No!" hissed Kageyama from the right.

I ignored him and settled myself down, between Zakhar and Sanli.

Zakhar snorted as I lay beside him and rolled over. "What is— gah, Ao?!" He jerked away.

"It is too cold. Share your blanket with me," I said.

"What are you- how did you- why are you in our tent?!" Zakhar stumbled over his own words.

I felt an arm wrap around my middle. "Here, you can share my blanket," said Sanli as he pulled me towards him.

"I want to sleep beside Zakhar. I am sure he is the warmest of you three," I protested, but I let the prince draw me to his side and tuck his thick wool blanket around me.

"Actually, Sho Sensei is probably the warmest," said Sanli. My ear was pressed to the prince's chest, and I felt his voice as well as heard it. "What do they say, Sho Sensei? Some kitsune have fire in their blood?"

"She is not sleeping anywhere near me," snapped Kageyama from Sanli's other side.

"Lord Kageyama, I am continually confused by you. Surely you have seen enough of the world to not be so embarrassed by it," I said. My voice was muffled by the prince's blanket, but still the mirth could be heard.

"Hah! It is you who have not seen enough of the world," the kitsune cut back. "Or you would know that a woman sleeping alone in a tent full of men is not wise."

"I will take my chances. Should you all decide to ravish me, at least I will be warm."

Kageyama choked. "Have you no shame?!" he cried. I felt Sanli shake with laughter beside me.

"None at all Lord Kageyama. In fact I quite like—"

"Sanli, shut her up or I'm taking her back to her tent and tying her to her damn bedroll," Kageyama warned.

"Tie me? Oh my, Lord Kageyama, I did not take you for the kind of man who enjoys such play-"

"Cover her damn mouth!"

Still shaking with laughter, Sanli reached out and pushed my face gently against his shoulder, to silence me.

I did not mind. He was warm, and smelled of wool and wood smoke. And pine, strangely, as there were no trees around for li upon li.

Unable to contain my own humor, I laughed into the coarse material of the prince's shirt. Behind me I could hear Zakhar chuckling as well.

When my laughter finally stopped, Sanli drew me away from his shoulder.

I gave a deep sigh. "Well, goodnight Zakhar."

"Goodnight Ao," Zakhar's deep voice replied.

"Goodnight little prince," I said.

"Goodnight, Ao," said Sanli, from beside me. I could hear his smile.

"Goodnight Lord Kageya—"