His family stared at him with varying degrees of good humor, waiting for the punch line. "It was from my stepbrother's son, Collin, who as I'm sure you all know, will be able to take possession of the house as soon as he pleases when I die."

Mrs. Bennet practically growled at her husband's words. "Please, do not even mention that man in my house! It is unthinkable, that he should be the one to get the house and not one of our own poor, fatherless children. Is there no justice in the world?"

It was a subject that Mrs. Bennet could speak on for days. The legal workings of the will of Mr. Bennet's father had been reviewed by more lawyers than they could afford to pay for. Every one of them claimed it was legally sound, if quite unfair. But there was nothing they could do; the house would go to the stepbrother or his heirs on the event of Mr. Bennet's death. The will was very specific on the terms. Legally, the house did not belong to the Bennet family, they were just allowed to live there.

"It's true, nothing can clear the man for his crimes against humanity in inheriting the house," Mr. Bennet said, putting a stop to his wife's antics. "But I think if you hear what he has to say, it might make you feel a little more generous towards him. Here, I also have a note he sent over after the delay in returning his call."

He pulled out from his pocket a folded piece of lined notebook paper. Unfolding it, he cleared his throat and began to read in a dramatic voice. " 'Dearest uncle, I've long felt uneasy about the strained relationship between you and my father. Since I've had the great misfortune to lose my loving father—' " Mr. Bennet paused to shoot Lydia a stern look as she snorted, " 'my loving father, it's felt only right to heal the breach between our two families.' There, ain't that just the thing, then."

He handed the note to Lizzie, who finished reading it out loud to the family.

"My mind is made up on the subject. After having received my master's degree in botany from Auburn University this past year, I've had the privilege of becoming the groundskeeper of the grand estate and gardens belonging to Mrs. Catherine De Bourgh. I'm sure you've heard of her formidable estate in Tennessee, where I have taken up residence in one of the numerous ancillary houses on the estate grounds. She has generously provided not only fulfilling work for my hands but also peace for my mind, and continues to encourage me to make amends in order to spread that peace to all who wish to partake of it. I am, of course, keenly aware of the moral injury that has been brought upon your family and your lovely daughters due to circumstances outside my control. Therefore, I am willing to undertake whatever must be done to satisfy the need for justice on this account.

That is why I have decided to visit you and your family at your home. I will plan to come on the eighteenth of this month. Please, if this is not a convenient time, my phone number is included in both this note and the message I've left with your secretary. Until then, I look forward to seeing you and finally putting to rest this great family feud."

There wasn't much else to say. It seemed Collin was coming, whether the Bennet family was ready or not. Lizzie couldn't help but wonder what kind of strange man her step-cousin was, judging from his verbose letter and strange manner of writing. She could only guess what his intentions were, reaching out to her family after all these years of silence.

***

The man in the white Mazda Miata pulled up to the Bennet's house as if he owned the place. Though Lizzie supposed, he technically did. The family watched from the front window as the car made its way up the driveway. "And here he comes," Mrs. Bennet said ominously.

"He can't be a normal person, can he?" Lizzie asked, thinking back to his letter. She had to admit, she was very curious.

Mrs. Bennet sighed, standing up in preparation to answer the door. "Well, I suppose if he wants to make amends, who are we to discourage him?" She looked as if she were preparing for battle.