✩ REASONLESS ✩

Start from the beginning

Frank didn't answer for a moment, before sighing and rubbing his wet face.

"There isn't a story," Frank mumbled, "I just wanted beer."

"Uh huh," Gerard said absently, looking at how they were making their coffees, "And why were you sitting next to it like it's your prom date?"

Frank scoffed, rolling his shoulders like he always did. Because his back just always hurt.

"Why did you even ask me to come get coffee with you?" Frank asked, practically snatching his coffee off of the oak counter once the guy placed it there, "You clearly hate me."

"Who said I hate you?" Gerard asked with a raised eyebrow, taking a small sip of his drink.

Frank rolled his eyes but didn't respond.

The two of them moved to a small table, sitting across from one another as Frank finally spoke.

"If you don't hate me, why're you such a bitch all of the time?" Frank asked, not bothering to sensor himself.

Gerard laughed, "Never said I didn't hate you. I asked who told you."

Frank muttered a small profanity, taking a drink of his own coffee, feeling Gerard's stare on him.

"What?" Frank finally snapped, making Gerard smile in that same annoying fucking way he always seemed to do.

"Nothing," He mumbled, "You just look so weird without that shitty badge on you."

Frank grit his teeth, "It's a detective's badge."

"Tomato potato." Gerard shrugged him off, moving to get his camera out of his jacket, looking down at it again.

Frank didn't speak up that time, a heavy silence settled over them, thicker than the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. Despite the warm feeling the coffeehouse had first implanted in Frank's mind, Frank felt painfully out of place. Like a pepperoni that had mistakenly made its way onto a vegetarian pizza. He didn't understand why he had even taken up his offer, and he didn't understand why he was still sitting there, looking down at his coffee cup like it was the most intruiging thing in the world.

The drinkers in the cafe all continued to talk vehemently, making Frank feel even more out of place.

"You look nervous." Gerard pointed out after a while, glancing up from his camera.

"I'm not nervous, I just don't fucking understand why I'm here." He said, and Gerard stared ta him wordlessly.

"Do you have to swear in every sentence like a thirteen year old or do you just choose to?" He asked, that same mock curious expression across his face.

Frank rolled his eyes, "Does the swearing bother you, princess?"

Gerard laughed at that, shaking his head as he put his camera down in front of him.

"Not really," Gerard mumbled, "The nicknames sure do though. Can't tell if I'm actually a princess to you or if you're just misogynistic."

"It's neither. Don't flatter yourself." Frank chuckled dryly, leaning back in his seat as he took another sip of his coffee.

"Oh no, I'd never." Gerard mocked with a smile.

Frank didn't answer again, instead playing with his coffee cup until Gerard sighed loudly.

"Are you always this quiet or am I just shit company?" Gerard asked, for once genuinely seeming self conscious about himself. And Frank found himself not liking that side of him.