15: Happiness?

15:Happiness?

"Oh Lavanya ji! I am so happy for you!" Khushi exclaimed pulling Lavanya into a hug.

"Obviously you will be happy, Khushi! That is what your name means, baby!" Lavanya smacked Khushi's head lightly.

"This is so awesome. Aman ji has asked you to get married to him! He has proposed you! You are so lucky!"Khushi said as her voice started lowering down. Lavanya got scared as this was the very reason why she was apprehensive of telling Khushi about her dates and love life. She feared that Khushi shall feel bad or worse might start remembering all of her horrid past.

When she had seen Khushi for the first time, it had been a pathetic sight. Khushi's Saree looked expensive but it was tattered, her eyes were closed and had blue marks. In fact her whole body had blue marks. She was breathing so slowly that Lavanya felt that she had encountered a corpse.

Later when she started knowing Khushi, she realized that Khushi although biologically alive was no less than a corpse. The 18 year old body of hers didn't look like it was young and beautiful like a teenager's must be. Her little heart and mind was so completely shattered, she could not speak a word!

Every time that Lavanya enquired her about how she landed up along the sea coast, clashed against a rock, Khushi would break down. She would cry so badly and for such a long time that she had to be given medicines to make her sleep and Intravenous glucose as she would not eat.

If there was one thing Lavanya feared the most, then that had to be seeing Khushi in that state. It had taken lots of time and hard work to make Khushi what she deserves to be – happy, sane and confident. And Lavanya was ready to go to any extent to maintain that.

"Khushi , you are fine right? I mean..." Lavanya kept her hand on Khushi's shoulder.

"Yes, Lavanya ji."Khushi faced Lavanya and smiled. "I know what you are thinking, Lavanya ji" Khushi held Lavanya's hand. "I won't let all the time and money you have spent on making me better than my previous state go into the drain due to the horrid memories my mind stores. I am so grateful to you Lavanya ji, I cannot repay your kindness even in my next seven lives. You have completely changed me and my outlook. You are like god for me. If not for you, I might have been in a garbage bin or worse, at my ex-husband's mansion. And I assure you, that if not for myself then I shall keep myself fine for you. I am fine, Lavanya ji and I am really- really happy for you."

Khushi hugged Lavanya as her eyes brimmed with tears.

"Please Khushi, never let yourself fall prey to your past."

"I promise, I shall never let you down Lavanya ji. Now enough of this crying. Tell me, did you accept Aman ji's proposal?"Khushi smiled widely and teased.

"I said I shall think and tell him..."

"What? Why? He is a nice man as much as I know him and you had said you like him ..."

"Khushi, I like him. I have no doubt in that. In fact, I love him. But marriage? I don't know if I am ready for this at this moment. I have to talk this out with him also I think I should talk to Mom, Dad and maybe even ASR once..." Lavanya said as she sat on the couch.

"Then what are you waiting for? Talk to them ...Here I have dialled the number for you."

"Arre, Khushi! You ... Mom? Hi..." Lavanya said as she caught hold of the phone and started talking to her mother while Khushi's mind drifted to her past life quite instantaneously.

"Nakusha, come here. See who has come to meet you..." The very voice she dreaded called out to her.

"Jee? " Nakusha came out with some snacks from the kitchen, the only place she felt a little sane in this mansion which was supposed to be more beautiful than heaven for her – her Sasuraal.

It would be an understatement to say that Nakusha was surprised to see her parents here. They were sitting on the floor near her husband's footstool, with their hands joined.

"Aai? Baba?" Nakusha smiled to them widely. However they were, they were better than this monster she had been wedded off to. She now had a very nice idea of escaping the destruction her life might face if she stays here any longer. Within the past one month of her marriage, she had realized how torturous life was.

"Wait!" Her husband said tapping his foot against his knees, as she went forward to hug her parents.

"Get me a cup of tea!" He said.

"But my parents..." She tried to say making him glare at her. She trembled with fear and this did not go unnoticed by her mother.

"Nakusha! Is this what I have taught you? Your husband is your god! Make his tea first. Come, I will help you." Saying this, her mother took her towards the kitchen.

"Wow! Just look at all this jewellery you are adorned with. These earrings, they must be rubies. And this Saree, this is pure silk. I have never even seen such rich material let alone wear! Oh! You have been so lucky!" Her mother complimented, running her hand through Nakusha's Saree.

Hearing this Nakusha started weeping.

"You are able to see the small rubies in my earrings but you can't see his huge hand print on my cheeks?" She asked in a broken voice.

"This shall be gone in a few days, dear. I tell you what; put some turmeric paste on it. Your skin shall also start glowing." Her mother shrugged.

"Look at this! The whole skin on my hand got burnt. Sasu bai poured hot milk on it trying to make me fairer when she saw that her friend's daughter in law was fairer than me! "Nakusha cried.

"Sahi toh hai! (She did the right thing)After all she wants her only son's bride to look the best."

"Aai! I am tired, I can't live here anymore. He comes at night, completely drunk, uses me as he likes and then kicks me off the bed. He says I am not worthy enough to sleep on his bed. If I cry or try to say something he starts whipping me with his belt..." Her voice broke.

"Are you mad? It is his right to do anything he wants. If you don't want to be whipped, stop crying! "Her mother shook her shoulders hard. Nakoshi slumped down to the floor and started crying.

"Aai! Please take me back home! I don't want to be here! I can't bear anymore torture! Please!" She begged and cried.

"Haww!" Her mother covered her mouth in shock. "How can you expect me to do such a sin?"

"Where the hell is my tea?" Her husband boomed inside the kitchen making her shiver.

She realized no one would be ready to help her out of this situation.Whatever she had to do; she had to do it on her own! She had to escape from this monster as soon as she could.

**********

Agnisakshi (Under Editing)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें