Chapter 18: The crossroads of destiny

Start from the beginning

Iroh: I need your help.

Sokka and Aang become shocked and angry upon seeing him, and get into a fighting stance. Toph calmly smiles and waves at him. Momo flies away upon seeing him.

Aang: You guys know each other? And Faith is his friend?!

Toph: Me and Faith met him in the woods once and I knocked him down. Then he gave me some tea and some very good advice.

Iroh: May I come in? (Toph nods, and he walks in before turning to the group.) Princess Azula is here in Ba Sing Se.

Aang: (Grows a little angrier.) She must have Faith and Katara.

Iroh: She has captured my nephew as well.

Aang: Then we'll work together to fight Azula, and save Faith, Katara and Zuko.

Sokka: (Approaching Aang and pointing at him.) Whoa there! You lost me at "Zuko".

Iroh: I know how you must feel about my nephew. (Moving forward to place his hands on Sokka's shoulders.) But believe me when I tell you that there is good inside him.

Toph: Truth be told Faith believed that when she first met Zuko. I heard her and Iroh talking about it.

Sokka: (Pushing Iroh away.) "Good inside him" isn't enough! Why don't you come back when it's outside him too, okay?

Aang: Faith's in trouble and so is Katara. All of Ba Sing Se is in trouble. Working together is our best chance. (Looks over to Sokka determined.) I have to get Faith back.

Sokka understands, and nods. Iroh begins walking back to the door.

Iroh: I brought someone along who might help us.

They all walk outside. Toph puts a couple earth pillars around the nervous Dai Li agent and makes him stand up. Iroh walks over to him and takes the gag off his mouth, revealing this to be the scared agent.

Captured agent: Azula and Long Feng are plotting a coup! They're going to overthrow the Earth King!

Aang: Where are they keeping Faith?! (His grip tightens on Melody slightly as melody also chirps angrily like she was ready to try and speak to.)

Sokka: And my sister! Where are they keeping Katara?

Captured agent: (Gets scared from Aang's and Sokka's glares.) In the Crystal Catacombs of Old Ba Sing Se, deep beneath the palace.

Iroh, Aang, Toph, and Sokka run away to help Katara, Faith and the Earth King.

Inside the Crystal Catacombs.

Katara is yelling at Zuko, who sits with his back turned. Faith is just listening.

Katara: Why did they throw you in here? (Zuko says nothing.) Oh, wait, let me guess. It's a trap. So that when Aang shows up to help us, you can finally have him in your little Fire Nation clutches!

Zuko turns his head to look at her, turns back, and looks at the ground again.

Katara: (Continuing to lament.) You're a terrible person! You know that? Always following us! Hunting the Avatar! Trying to capture the world's last hope for peace! But what do you care? You're the Fire Lord's son. Spreading war and violence and hatred is in your blood!

Zuko: (Tries to defend himself.) You don't know what you're talking about!

Katara: (Angrily.) I don't? How dare you! You have no idea what this war has put me through! (Sits down.) Me personally! (She sits down and touches her necklace, begins to cry.) The Fire Nation took my mother away from me.