Book 2: Chapter 1: The Avatar State

Comincia dall'inizio

Fong: Avatar Aang, we were all amazed at the stories of how you singlehandedly wiped out an entire Fire Navy fleet at the North Pole. (Stroking his beard.) I can't imagine what it feels like to wield such devastating power. It's an awesome responsibility.

Aang: (Casually.) I try not to think about it too much.

Fong: (Calmly.) Avatar, you're ready to face the Fire Lord now.

Aang: (Shocked.) What? No I'm not!

Katara: (Holds out her hand in reasoning.) Aang still needs to master all four elements.

Fong: Why? With the kind of power he possesses, power enough to destroy hundreds of battle ships in a matter of minutes, he could defeat the Fire Lord now!

Sokka: But sir, the thing is, Aang can only do those things when he's in the Avatar State.

Aang: See, it's this special state where-

Fong: (Sharply.) I'm well aware! Your eyes and tattoos glow and you're able to summon unbelievable power. Without you, we'd be slaughtered before we even reach their shores. (Looks at map and guides finger from the location of the base to the location of the Fire Nation Capital.) But with you leading the way, as the ultimate weapon, we could cut a swath right through to the heart of the Fire Nation.

Faith: (Angrily.) Aang is no weapon! He is a human being like us. You can't use him like he's nothing.

Aang: Faith it's okay. (Doubtfully.) Sadly I don't know how to get in or out of the Avatar State, much less what to do once I'm there.

Fong: So, it's decided then. I'll help you figure out how to get into the Avatar State and then you'll face your destiny.

Faith: (The group rises; angrily.) No, nothing's decided. We already have a plan. Aang's pursuing his destiny his way.

Fong: Well, while you take your time learning the elements, the War goes on. May I show you something? (Leads Aang to a window.) That's the infirmary, and those soldiers are the lucky ones. (Several soldiers are injured and walking slowly.) They came back. Every day, the Fire Nation takes lives. People are dying, Aang! You could end it, now. Think about it.

Aang averts his eyes to the side, looking unsure.

The scene changes to nightfall at Fong's base.

Aang: General Fong?

Fong: Come in, Aang. Have you thought about our discussion?

Aang: I'm in. I'll fight the Fire Lord.

The scene changes to where Aang has entered a room with several plain beds, where the team is resting for the night.

Aang: (Sits on his bed.) I told the general I'd help him, by going into the Avatar State.

Katara: (Sits up.) Aang, no! This is not the right way!

Faith: (Sits beside Aang.) You have to learn all four elements.

Sokka: (Resting on his bed with his arms behind his head.) Why not? Remember when he took out the Fire Navy? (Widens his eyes.) He was incredible!

Katara: There's a right way to do this. Practice, study.

Faith: And discipline!

Sokka: (Casually.) Or just glow it up and stop that Fire Lord!

Katara: (Rises and throws her hands up in surrender.) If you two meat heads want to throw away everything we've worked for, fine, go ahead and glow it up! Faith let's go!

Faith: (Stands up and looks back at Aang Angrily.) Coming! (The two exit.)

Aang: Faith, Katara, I'm just being realistic! I don't have time to do this the right way!