Chapter 11: The Great Divide

Start from the beginning

Katara: Ooh, canyon guide? Sounds informative.

Gan Jin tribesman: Believe me, he's more than a tour guide, he's an earthbender, (Oblivious to the fact that Sokka is behind him, mocking him.) and the only way in and out of the canyon is with his help, and he's taking my tribe across next.

Sokka: Calm down, we know you're next.

Gan Jin tribesman: You wouldn't be so calm if the Fire Nation destroyed your home and forced you to flee! My whole tribe has to walk thousands of miles to the capital city of Ba Sing Se.

Katara: You're a refugee!

Gan Jin tribesman: Huh, tell me something I don't know.

A large group of poorly dressed people is shown walking toward them.

Katara: Is that your tribe?

Gan Jin tribesman: It most certainly is not! That's the Zhang tribe, a bunch of low-life thieves. They've been the enemies of my tribe for a hundred years. (Whistles to them.) Hey, Zhangs! I'm saving a spot for my tribe so don't even think about stealing it!

Zhang leader: Where are the rest of the Gan Jin? Still tidying up their camp site?

Gan Jin tribesman: Yes, but they sent me ahead of them to hold a spot.

Zhang leader: I didn't know the canyon guide took reservations.

Gan Jin tribesman: Ha, of course you didn't! That's the ignorance I'd expect from a messy Zhang. So unorganized and ill-prepared for a journey. (The Zhang tribe members yell out in protest behind them. Katara and Aang look at each other worriedly, but turn around to see a large pile of rocks being levitated up and thrown away. The canyon guide stands behind where the rocks used to be.)

Canyon Guide: Sorry about the wait, youngsters. Who's ready to cross this here canyon?

Katara: Uh, one of them, I think.

Gan Jin tribesman: (Rushing forward.) I was here first, my party's on their way.

Canyon guide: I can't guide people who aren't here.

Zhang leader: (Mockingly.) Guess you guys will have to make the trip tomorrow.

The scouts eyes twitch in anger. Suddenly another tribe enter the canyon entrance area. The scout points to them in triumph.

Gan Jin tribesman: Wait, here they come! (A group of clean, finely dressed people are shown coming toward them.)

Zhang leader: (To the canyon guide.) You're not seriously gonna cave into these spoiled Gan Jins? I mean we're refugees too! And we've got sick people that need shelter.

Canyon guide: I... uh... well...

Gan Jin tribesman: We've got old people who are weary from traveling.

Zhang leader: Sick people get priority over old people.

Gan Jin leader: Maybe you Zhangs wouldn't have so many sick people if you weren't such slobs.

Zhang leader: If you Gan Jins weren't so clean, you wouldn't live to be so old.

Katara: (Over the two arguing tribes.) Well Aang, ready to put your peace-making skills to the test?

Aang: I don't know, a fight over chores is one thing, but these people have been feuding for a hundred years.

Faith: (Puts a Hand on Aang's shoulder.) Let me try. (Faces Katara and nods.)

Katara: (Stepping forward.) Everybody listen up! This is one of the Last AirBenders, and if you give her a chance, I'm sure she can come up with a compromise that will make everyone happy.