Chapter 7: Winter Solstice part 1~ The spirit world

Start from the beginning

Faith: That's why we're going to the North Pole. (Smiling softly.) To find you a teacher.

Aang: Yeah. A waterbending teacher. But there's no one who can teach me how to be the Avatar. Monk Gyatso said that Avatar Roku would help me.

Sokka: The Avatar before you? He died over a hundred years ago; how are you supposed to talk to him?

Aang: I don't know. (Momo comes up to Aang and settles in his lap.)

Faith: (Approaches Aang.) Hey, Aang! You ready to be cheered up?

Aang: (Sadly.) No. (An acorn is thrown at him.) Ow! Hey, how is that cheering me up?

Sokka: (Chuckles.) Cheered me up. (An acorn gets thrown at him by Katara.) Ow. Yeah, I probably deserved that.

Faith: These acorns are everywhere, Aang. That means the forest will grow back! Every one of these will be a tall oak tree someday, and all the birds and animals that lived here will come back. (She places the acorn in his hand and closes it.)

Aang: Thanks, Faith.

Faith helps Aang to his feet and hugs him gently before letting go. Aang grabs her hand and holds it tightly as Faith smiles at him before gasping at the sight of an old man approaching.

Sokka: Hey, who are you?

Old wanderer: When I saw the flying bison, I thought it was impossible! (Approaches Aang.) But, those markings... are you the Avatar, child? (Aang look to Faith, who nods. He nods himself.) My village desperately needs your help!

The scene cuts to them at Senlin Village at sunset. The village has been partially destroyed. The wanderer leads them into the center building.

Old wanderer: This young person is the Avatar!

Senlin Village leader: So, the rumors of your return are true! It is the greatest honor of a lifetime to be in your presence.

Aang: Nice to meet you too! (He continues to hold Faith's hand as he pulls her a little closer.) So... is there something I can help you with?

Senlin Village leader: I'm not sure...

Old Wanderer: Our village is in crisis, he's our only hope! (To Aang.) For the last few days at sunset, a spirit monster comes and attacks our village. He is Hei Bai, the black and white spirit.

Sokka: Why is it attacking you?

Senlin Village leader: We do not know, but each of the last three nights, he has abducted one of our own. We are especially fearful because the winter solstice draws near.

Katara: What happens then?

Faith: (Looks up at Katara as she explains.) As the solstice approaches, the natural world and the Spirit World grow closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely.

Senlin Village leader: Hei Bai is already causing devastation and destruction. Once the solstice is here, there's no telling what will happen.

Aang: So, what do you want me to do, exactly?

Old Wanderer: Who better to resolve a crisis between our world and the Spirit World than the Avatar himself?

Faith: (Grabs Aang's attention.) You are the great bridge between us and spirits after all.

Aang: Right... that's me.

Katara: Hey great bridge guy, could I talk to you over here for a second? (She leads him toward a window while Aang pulls Faith along still not letting go of her hand.) Aang, you seem a little unsure about all of this.