The Prepossessing

By @AwesomeA4life

Yes!! Yesssssssss XD

So far I really like this story. I've always wanted a story world where eye color showed which "power" or "gift/talent" you had. I honestly thought I was going to have to write it myself because I hadn't found a story with that. 

But BAM!! The Prepossessing beat me to it ❤

The world is fantastic. fanTAstic. The author provides graphs along with in-story explanations, which were fantastic. Much appreciated for sure since I usually struggle to understand new worlds. I hope the world building will continue as the story develops.  Looooooooove it so far <3

I really like the main character's viewpoint. How she describes things and what she notices pull the world into focus in ways that blatant describing don't. I really like the descriptions of eyes. Often I feel like I cant see characters because I don't know where they're looking or what they're "look of annoyance" or whatever is directed at. Having repeated descriptions of eye colors is something I absolutely love.

I can't wait to see where the story goes as the main character navigates new waters (no spoilers here) and develops.

Now for my thingssssssssssss:

                                                                 Well, one thing.....

I think more could be done with the characters (mostly the main character). As of yet, we're barely into the plot, so things could change. HOWEVER, I don't feel attached to the main character yet, and five chapters in is getting a bit far to do that.

She's the girl who goes through a change and is swept away from her family to begin training to be something knew.

The problem is that this is an over-done plot-thingy. Kid finds out they're special, new world, new challenges. Which makes it really hard for the author to make it unique. I understand completely. If only snapping a finger would make everything in writing perfect, but then it wouldn't be a special.

Already in this story, the world is unique. Check mark, and I absolutely love it.

But I haven't seen anything new or identifying from the main character?

What I mean is this:

Percy Jackson had this story theme of finding out they're different and special. BAM new world, but his sass and endearing rebellion make him unique and his story special.

Harry Potter (sorry, I always use Harry Potter for everything) has gentle innocence that is very prevalent and peaks interest in how he will deal with change.

What I'm trying to say is that I think that the main character could be developed much more. Defining features in her character that will make her stand out from all the other characters who have been faced with finding out they're a wizard ;)

Overall I really enjoy the story and recommend for sure. Excited to see where it goes!

Time stamp: 5-10-2020 (Note: review will be updated once the story finishes)