Chapter 3

It was quite a miracle for Danielle that she was up as early as seven in the morning. She had never been up so early like this before since she had this kind of weird sleeping habit that caused tardiness most of the times. As everybody knew, love really had a great role for an individual to change the usual lifestyle. It change bad habits to good ones. And Danielle was one big example. From being dispirited to inspired. From being impatient to patient. From being tardy to punctual. Or it could that maybe she was just too excited to be enrolled at Burkely, the new school where James had transferred to.

"I have this feeling inside me that I've always tried to hide. I can't help myself but falling for you. No matter where you go, I will always follow you hmmm," the excitement incited her to sang her very own song while taking a shower. Yes! She even composed her very own song for James. Well, the lyrics were somehow true! She just couldn't simply hide her feelings for James. Many people believed that when you're in love, you can do things beyond expectation. It can make a person do unusual things, which really applied to a 10-year old like her. She's not musically inclined but she was able to write a song for James. That's what love can do.

She was all prepared as she went downstairs to eat breakfast. Her mom was still preparing the meals when she got to the kitchen.

"Wow! For the record, you're so early honey," her mom exclaimed in amazement. She smiled at her mother and went directly to the table and grabbed a sandwich.

"You're not that excited, right?" her mom still could not believe her unusual changes.

"Nah! I just realized that I really have to be more serious this time, mom," she grabbed a seat and sat while watching her mother preparing her lunch box.

"Oh really! Honey, we will just go there for the enrollment and not for
a class. Anyway, that sounds great! Besides, you're now a teenager," Her mother paused and handed the milk to her.

"You have to know the word 'responsibility' as early as now. Alright, I'll just take a shower then we'll leave, okay?"

"Copy that, mom," she bit her lower lip after saying those words. Because she somehow felt guilty about it. She felt sorry to her mother. Despite being busy, her mother was very supportive to her in many ways. She was a friend, a sister, a doctor, a mother and sometimes acted like her father since her dad was working abroad. She didn't mean to be ungrateful to her mother but she had no choice at all. It just happened so quickly and she couldn't turn it back.

"I'm really sorry, mom. Just this once, I promise," she said bitterly while watching her mom heading upstairs to take a shower.

She could hardly bite the sandwich because the guilt was overwhelming her whole being at that moment. She lose appetite to eat so decided to put the sandwich on her bag.

It was passed eight in the morning when they stepped on Berkeley's admin building. They headed directly to the transferee section and passed some requirements. But the admin staff shook her head while scanning the documents.

"Mrs. Torres, I'm very sorry to inform you that your daughter is not qualified to transfer."

Danielle couldn't help herself but let her jaw dropped in shock of she just heard. How she hoped it was just a mistake. She couldn't believe that she was not qualified.

"I-I'm sorry?'' her mom practically asked.

"We have rules here that we need to follow. Unfortunately, her grades didn't meet the qualification for a transferee. So, I'm very sorry Mrs. Torres,'' the staff politely explained.

"No way! That couldn't be!" Danielle objected silently. She was not stupid for Pete's sake. She was just inattentive in the class because of James. But she knew she could do better than that. She already invested a lot already. She sneak out, lied, and did alibis just to came that far, so she couldn't simply allow that poor grades to hinder her love for James.

Thankfully, it seemed her brain was working perfectly as she needed it the most. It worked several times, so why not use it at the moment? She slowly walked toward the admin staff, tears were starting to fall with her pathetic signature look. She kneeled down before the admin staff. Seeing her acting like that won't make any surprise if the people around her, including her mother would be caught dumbfounded. To their shock, they weren't able to say a single word. They couldn't help but let their jaw dropped, frowning, and wondering what's was going on.

"Do you have a daughter, miss?" Danielle started to be dramatic.

"Y-Yes, why?" the staff looked puzzled thinking how it had something to do with Danielle's assessment issue.

"Has she ever been bullied at school?"

"No," the staff confidently said.

"So, meaning, you never know how does it feel to be bullied. I've been bullied since kinder. It's really hard for me to concentrate on the class while my classmates are tugging my booty, throwing garbage on me, and smack me down," she sobbed.

She was so exaggerated! Yes, she had been bullied but not that serious. Her mother was gesturing to interrupt but Danielle didn't let her to.

"Please, give me a chance to live my school days happy and be a normal student like others here. I can make better grades if I can concentrate in the class. I'm not stupid and mom knows that, right mom?" she winked at her mother hoping to get a sympathy. Her mother wasn't able to agree right away, so she was mouthing toward her mom.

"Oh...Yes, that's right! So please, give her a chance," her mom had finally uttered some words.

"Alright! Alright! Alright! You got me, but prove it that you can excel or else I'll kick you out of here. Are we clear on that?" the staff started to process her papers.

"Count me in, Madame! Thank you," Daniel replied delightfully.

Great! It was always effective. She could be dubbed as 'drama princess or princess of exaggeration'.

On their way home, her mom couldn't simply settle her mind about what had just happened.

"What was that?"

"What is it?" As always, Danielle tried to be naive.

"Oh come on! That 'smack me down and tugging my booty' stuff. Are you serious?" They stopped walking.

"Mom, I was so desperated so I made up that thing. And it works, right?''

"Honey, who taught you to be a liar? This is not you anymore," her mother sounded angry.

"Mom, I'm not lying. It's exaggerating. And exaggerating is far from lying. Please, don't be upset, I really need to enroll here," she insisted.

"Fine! Just make sure you're not messing up with me or else I'll be the one to pull you out here. You got it?"

"I got it. Thanks mom."

Hopefully, everything would be fine or else her doomsday would be coming on it's way. Well, she made it but that was just the beginning of her exciting life.