Chapter 14

Third Person's POV

Sunwoo held Jihyo's hand tightly. His senses amplified immediately. He remembered the incident in his tree house, when he noticed someone was observing them from afar, from their campus. Realization hit him, the shadow who was watching them was the white wolf, Minju. He couldn't imagine how painful it was for Jihyo. She treated Minju, her dearest best friend, and trusted her, but in the end, their friendship will be tainted with betrayal.

Minju marched her way toward them. Later she lunged and smashed Sunwoo and Jihyo. The two hit the table separately. Jihyo grunted in pain. Minju instantly assailed Jihyo, but failed as Sunwoo attacked her from behind. The latter pierced her head, blood trickled down to her white fur.

Jihyo screamed in terror. Seeing two wolves fight in front of her was terrifying. She crawled nervously until she reached another table. She was about to hide when two black wolves hovered around her. The wolves were scary, she thought, but she fearlessly faced them. With hands trembling, Jihyo lifted her gown up to her thighs and took the bokken strapped on her right thigh. She immediately tore the gown up to her knees and looked at the two hungry wolves. Before the wolves could lunge at her, one already collapsed to the ground as a number of arrows were pierced to it. Jihyo lunged at the other and pierced her bokken on its chest, earning a shriek from the latter. She later pulled out the bokken that was covered with blood and turned around to see that Sunwoo and Minju were still exchanging attacks.

Every time a wolf would assault her, she would fight back. In the past, she was a coward and she did nothing to save people. But tonight, she was different. Jihyo was more than willing to sacrifice her life. After pulling out her bokken from a wolf reaper, she heard a voice yelling for her name.

"Jihyo!" Hyunjoon called.

She looked at Hyunjoon who was shooting arrows at the wolves below. Hyunjoon descended from the second floor and hastily approached Jihyo.

He held Jihyo's hands and took her away from the hall. They left the hall with a heavy heart. Jihyo wanted to go back and help Sunwoo but she remembered their plan.

"Don't worry. Sunwoo can handle Minju. He was your Royal Guard before for a reason." Hyunjoon said.

Along the way, there were several wolves that approached them. Hyunjoon and Jihyo decided to fight back. Jihyo lunged at the two wolves while gripping her bokken. She leapt forward and kicked the first wolf, jabbed its leg afterwards. The wolf howled in pain, later disintegrating to the unknown. A wolf reaper. She faced the other wolf and was greeted by its famished canines. Jihyo hit her back to the ground, and the wolf managed to pin her down. She hurriedly kicked its underbelly, but it was futile, the wolf was so close in devouring her. If not because of Hyunjoon, the wolf might have devoured her already. Just like what happened to the first wolf, the latter disintegrated to the unknown.

Jihyo stood up immediately and ran away with Hyunjoon. She secretly hoped that Sunwoo was okay.

On the other hand, Sunwoo and Minju are still exchanging attacks inside the hall. Sunwoo was livid, so was Minju.

"Jihyo trusted you." Sunwoo exclaimed exasperatedly.

Minju replied with a sinister laugh. She was still eager to kill Sunwoo.

"If she wasn't reborn, this won't happen." Minju hissed, later scratching Sunwoo's chest.

Sunwoo howled in pain, but regained his composure. He lunged at Minju and decked her with just one smash. The latter hit the wall, fell off the floor, cracks on the wall up to the ceiling followed.

Minju stumbled and assailed once more, but Sunwoo easily defended himself, his sharp claws piercing Minju's body. Minju's clamor filled the hall.

"Stop putting the blame on Jihyo's existence. If there are no greedy werewolves like you and your Alpha, none of this would happen." Sunwoo bolted.

Minju reacted impulsively. She couldn't accept how Sunwoo degraded her Alpha Wolf. With no second thoughts, Minju aggressively escaped from Sunwoo's strong claws. She screeched, eyes more wrathful than before. Minju was about to lunge and thrust her claws to Sunwoo's head when a loud sinister howl echoed.

Uncle. Sunwoo thought.

Minju halted, having a hard time. The sinister howl stopped right away.

"Jihyo treated you as her best friend, but you still chose to betray her." Sunwoo spoke.

Later on he used his rare power and made Minju remember all the things Jihyo and Minju have shared together.

"S-Stop..." Minju cried and begged.

"I know you still cared for her, Minju. You can easily take her away as you please. On the night you encountered the three of us, you backed out, knowing that Jihyo was with Hyunjoon and I. There's something stopping you from doing so. Because you care for Jihyo." Sunwoo yelled.

The memories stopped, Minju howled in agony and pain. The white wolf cried, tears trickling down.

"Help Jihyo. Help us, Minju." Sunwoo begged, hoping that Minju would side with Jihyo.

Minju looked at Sunwoo weakly. She has always been weak despite her portentous appearance. She was never brave to execute people, even wolves. She was drowning in the sea of misery. However, because of their Alpha's whims, she had to follow. Minju has the most important role of their kind, fulfilling it would give them the upperhand.

"Minju..." Sunwoo called.

Minju's menacing howl filled the hall.

"Betrayal can kill. You know that, right?" Minju asked, stepping forward.

Sunwoo prepared to defend himself.

When Minju was inches away from Sunwoo, she transformed into her human form. She aggressively took Sunwoo's arms, pointed his claws on her chest, on where her heart was. Minju forced Sunwoo to pierce her, the latter couldn't do anything.

"I betrayed both my Alpha... and Jihyo. To perish is the only way to... end my misery." She whispered weakly, later vanishing into thin air.