Part 2.

Chapter 2:

The next day, during the afternoon Tutor comes. Father's hired this new one ever since we've moved here to Munich. Tutor asks us questions on politics which I fail to answer. For some reason, I just can't stop thinking about the young man. He had such mesmerizing eyes. And his smile made me happy. His dimples were cute. I realise how wrong I was about him before. He was not a man to fear. He was a lovely man. 

"Who is the supreme leader of Germany?" Tutor asks me, Hans and Berta but we know this question is directed to Berta as it's an easy one. She starts thinking out loud but Hans interrupts.

"Hitler," he exclaims. He's almost 16 yet he still insists on teasing Berta. 

"Hans! That was my question!" She cries.

"Well now it's mine." 

"You'll be sorry." She glares through her hazel eyes. The rest of the lesson, I didn't concentrate. I couldn't get the young man, whose name I still didn't know, off my mind. 

The lesson finishes and I head up to my room. The front door opens and I know Father and his two men are here. I don't immediately run down; I don't want Father getting suspicious. He'd be furious if he found out I had a crush on one of his soldiers. I give it an hour, then I go down. 

Father, his two men, Hans and Berta are all sitting in the living room. This is a rare moment; Father never sits with any of us. He's usually in his office. He looks more angry than usual though and is shouting at the phone. I go over to him, bow down to him and take a seat next to my brother and sister. The young man watches me, and when I finally meets his eye contact, he smiles. I smile back although I try not to.

Father slams the phone down and starts swearing in German. We're used to Father swearing. Berta looks at Hans deceptively, and walks over to Father. 

"Yes, Berta?" He says frustrated. 

"Yesterday, Hans was in your office playing with your gun," she grins evilly.

Hans springs us about to defend himself when Father shouts, "Is this true, Hans?" 

We all freeze as the anger in Father's voice is excruciating. We all anticipate what Father will do.

"Y-y-yes Father. Gretchen was with me too!" 

I jump up shocked at Hans' betrayal. He needn't tell on me too. That only made the situation worse. "Hans!" I shriek.

Father slowly takes off his belt. "How dare you, you Blvde Fotze! I told you to never go in there!" His voice booms throughout the whole house. He suddenly throws his belt down against Hans' back. A painful 'whip' can be heard. Hans screams in agony and attempts to run out of the run. This fails as Father grabs him by the collar and drags him into the room. Hans drops onto the floor.

Father then looks at me. I freeze in shock, and soon enough the belt comes throbbing down against my bare arms. It stings like Hell but I try to stay strong. Father keeps the whips coming, each time more painful than the last. I am aware the young man is watching me which makes me feel even worse. I suddenly burst into tears.

"Stop crying at once or I'll give you something to really cry about!" Father threatens. He's always taught us to not cry. I try all I can to stop but I can't bring myself to do so.

Father grabs me by my ear and throws me out of the room. I run up to my room and slam the door. Tears fall uncontrollably. I cry because of the pain, however more importantly I cry because of the embarrassment. Embarrassment that the man I have a crush on saw me in tears. 

I sit in the same position, for what could be conceived as a million years, just crying. I let out all the pain I've ever kept locked up. Only now do I realise the emptiness of my room. Nothing but a bed and a poster of Hitler. No books. No radio. Father never lets us listen to the radio. He thinks we should only learn from him and Tutor. This is also why I've always been home-schooled. 

I just realise how much of life I am missing out on. Father's deprived us of having a fun childhood. I always see other kids outside, playing with each other. I've never had that kind of fun. My only fun is helping Mamma. 

With what little energy I have left, I punch my door. This helps let out some of my anger, however I only hurt myself more.

Suddenly, I hear the door knock.

"What do you want?!" I ask rudely, losing all respectful mannerisms Father taught me.

The door pushes open and I see the young man standing in my doorway. 

"Hello, Gretchen," he says. I don't reply. I keep my head down to the ground, trying to hide my tears. 

"Are you okay?" He steps forward and for the first time since I met him, I think he looks vulnerable. 

"Yes I'm fine." My monosyllabic words sound harsh and cold.

"Well, I've got a wet cloth if you need it." 

His kindness only makes me cry more and this time I can't hide it. 

"Why are you crying?" He asks innocently. He comes over and puts an arm around my shoulder. I grab a tissue from my cupboard, slyly squirming his arm off me. 

"Nothing." 

"It's got to be something. Tell me?" He comes close to me again. I can feel his cool breathing on my cheeks. I look up at him about to tell him, but just looking into his eyes stops me thinking straight.  He cups my chin, brushes my hair to the side and smiles at me attentively. 

"I..I..just don't know." I sigh, unable to explain. 

I look up off the ground and suddenly see his lips moving towards me. At first, I pull back but I decide against that quickly. I close my eyes, and his lips meet mine. In this moment, it feels as if the world is  frozen. As if nothing else matters but me and him, That there are no laws of gravity, or time or any thing of the sort. Just love. 

"Otto!" The aggressive voice of Father calling up the stairs interrupts us.

Otto pulls back and says, "I've got to go." He kisses me on the cheek and walks out of the room. I stand there for a few seconds soaking in what just happened.