Part 1

This is story based on the horrific events on World War 2. It tells the story of a young naive girl blinded by love and it happens in a very short time span just to show how desperate the young girl is for affection. I tried to get all historical details right by doing research on it, but if you find anything wrong then just tell me. I hope you all enjoy it, vote/comment/become a fan! :]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

I don't understand why Father is called 'Reichsmarschall'. I know it means he's important, but I still don't know what he does exactly. Mamma always says 'he serves the country' whenever I ask her. That doesn't help me understand at all. It just confuses me further. I'd never ask Father directly myself. I'm too scared of him; he's far too stern. 

Nonetheless, I'm glad he's come home for the winter. He's rarely ever here for dinner so I'm happy to be in his presence. Although I fear Father, I do respect him immensely. He's managed to provide us with a new wonderful home. I love the house, it's beautiful. I'm sure whatever Father does, he works hard at it and that's the reason so many other men are in awe of him. All the men look up to him, maybe because of his high rank in whatever job he has. Mamma taught us to respect him just like the men do. It's a shame his other children, my awful older brother and unbearable younger sister, didn't turn out as well as him. I'm sure I'm Father's favourite child. I laugh to myself thinking about my brother's earlier disastrous attempts at holding Father's gun right. Father would go berserk if he found out Hans snuck into his office and touched his things.

 "Gretchen dear, check on the potatoes," Mamma instructs putting an abrupt end to my mindless pondering. 

"Okay, Mamma." I check on the boiling potatoes on the coal lit stove. They're almost soft so I go to tell Mamma. 

"Okay, go call your father down and tell him dinner's ready." I smile to myself and skip up the stairs. I enjoy having to call him down because I get to go into his office without fear of getting in trouble. I stand outside his door and knock. Father taught Hans, Berta and I to always knock.  

"Come in." I hear from the other side of the door after a few seconds. I push the door open and stand inside. The room is full of photos of the Fuher and the Swastika. There is a photo of Father and the Fuher framed on his desk. I wish I got the chance to meet him. Father is lucky he met him. I remember almost knocking over that photo earlier today, and laugh to myself. His two men who constantly follow him everywhere are standing by his desk. I expect to see the usual two old men that I loathe but I see a new young one. He looks only a couple of years older than me, but I'd never go near him. He looks angry that I interrupted their conversation so I make a mental note to avoid him at all costs. 

"Yes, Gretchen?" Father breaks the silence as I realise I've been standing there silently for a minute. 

"Father, Mamma says dinner is ready." I say whilst bowing my head down. 

"Thank you Gretchen, now hop off downstairs. Tell your mother we'll be down." I nod and leave the room. I realise Father said 'we' which makes me angry because I don't want the two men joining us. I hate whenever Father invites them to join us for dinner. All the adults make jokes that I fail to understand. 

"Father and his men will be down, Mamma." I say when I've reached the dining room. I see Mamma has already set the table, so I stand behind my seat. Hans and Berta are already standing behind theirs. We all wait for Father to sit down before we're allowed. Mamma stands behind her chair and we wait for Father. 

He soon comes down and we all bow our heads down, customarily. He takes a seat and makes grace. He thanks God for giving us all that we have and we all say "Heil Hitler" after.  Mamma suddenly whispers in my ear to get the glasses which she clumsily forgot.

"Excuse me." I say and go the kitchen.

All the glasses are dirty so I begin washing them. I sigh at the thought of how many glasses I have to wash. 

"Hello, Gretchen," I hear from behind. I turn around and see the younger of Father's men standing there. I almost drop the glass I'm washing.

"Good evening, sir." I say gaining my composure and bowing down.

"Where does your father keep his cigars?" He asks. 

"His-s office," I try to control my stuttering but I can tell it doesn't work. 

"Are you afraid of me, Gretchen?" He says coming closer to me. For the first time I notice his blue eyes and ruffled hair under his cap. His eyes are like a clear pool of water with the power to hypnotise anyone who gazes into them.

"No, sir." I answer darting my gaze to the ground. 

He laughs. "How old are you, Gretchen?" 

"14, sir". 

"You don't need to call me sir. I'm only 2 years your senior."

I smile unsure of what to say.

"You have lovely eyes, Gretchen," he says and walks out. My rosy cheeks blush once he's gone. I wonder whether he really does think my eyes are lovely or if he thinks saying that will make me speak well about him to Father. I decide it's the second option.