The leaves rustled overhead as the ominous silence washed over us. Shisui was. . .suicidal? He said nothing to me as tears poured from his sockets, I had never known the great Shisui Uchiha to have the capabilities to show nothing but positivity and happiness. Where was my friend that clowned around and defaced my father's statue? Where was the boy which Etsuko loved? 

       "I suppose the pressure is too much," Shisui chuckled dryly as his tears wet the collar of his shirt. "Lord Third ordered me to spy on you and report back to him about everything you do and say, he put Etsuko into the ANBU for the strict purpose to kill Danzo and his Root Ops. . .he wants us all to become martyrs for his pointless feud and I can't stand it. I know what you have to do Itachi, this coup d'état is an excuse for your true mission and I didn't need to spy on Lord Third to realise that. But I don't want to live in a word where there is nothing but hatred and you are driving Etsuko to the brink of no return."

     My eyes widened slightly. I'd known that Shisui wasn't as loyal as he seemed, but I never thought he'd double cross Lord Third in order to achieve his own goals. As I stared in disbelief, Shisui continued to cry.

       "I've already made preparations so you can appear as the villain like you always want people to believe," Shisui sniffed. "I've transferred Kotoamatsukami to Etsuko along with the secret of switching my Sharingan with Karasu. All that's left is to take Danzo out and then my tasks will be complete, I have a note and everything. Itachi, I know that it's your wish to appear as the black stain in the village's history, but when Etsuko realises that my death will not appear as murder. . .she will come for you."

      "I know," was all I could say.  

       It was the shock, to hear that Shisui didn't want to live anymore, which made the situation feel so surreal. I thought I was the master of deception, by fooling my own brother that I loved him, and making my father believe that I agreed with his ideas. . .but Shisui, he had pulled off a greater task―convincing people that he had the will to live.

      I followed Shisui when he seemed to walk towards the Naka River in a trance-like state. In his current condition, I didn't want him anywhere of height in case he decided to take the jump into the unknown. I spun on my heel and chased after Shisui to see him staring up at the stars by the edge of the cliff.

       "Shisui," I warned.

     "I remember you always used to ask me what I thought the meaning of a Shinobi was, and I could never give you an answer, but now I have one," Shisui squinted at the stars. "Self-sacrifice. A nameless Shinobi who protects peace from within its shadow. That is a true Shinobi. Think of my acts as self-sacrifice, dying for a cause in which I believe in."  

    "Shisui get away from there!" I shouted as my heart threatened to beat out of my chest. "Shisui, think of what Etsuko would do if she found you gone!?"

      Shisui's head snapped back to look at me. His trance-like motions stopped abruptly as he pitched forward onto his knees, coughing up large amounts of blood. I let out a sigh of relief when his knees hit the grass. I lunged forward and pulled him away from the edge as he continued to cough into my shoulder.

      "Danzo. . .that pig," Shisui winced. "Etsuko and I were talking in the ANBU hideout about what to do when we have to face you again. . .Danzo walked in and put us both under Genjutsu, he must want to know what we know of the coup d'état or something. He wanted to know the deepest truths that lurked around in our minds. . .I never knew that Etsuko would give her life for me. . .and you."  

     "If she's in the same truth-driven state like you were, she'd still follow you," I observed and armed myself with a kunai once Shisui mustered the strength to stand. "The plan still stands firm, correct? We mock-fight, you admit defeat and surrender."