二四

ON THE RUN 

        Konohagakure grew closer. There was no other option left but to seek sanctuary in my former home. It had been two weeks since Pein's threat and I knew my time was running out. A few paces out from the gates, I took a few deep breaths and approached slowly. If I burst into the village, I'd be arrested or worse.        

         It crossed my mind to simply transport myself to the Hokage Office, but since I was considered dead and wasn't familiar with the changed village. With the amped up guard from the pre-existing Akatsuki threats, I had to hand myself over with no fuss.

     Konohagakure's guards sat in the observation booth, engrossed in Jiraya's novel. 

     I sighed loudly and scuffed my sandals against the cobblestone to be heard. 

       Izumo Kamizuki and Kotetsu Hagane turned their attention to me, startled to be interrupted at such a late hour. Izumo lowered his erotica and cleared his throat, frantically pawing around for the papers needed to be filled out as admittance to the village.

      Izumo's right eye was covered by his dark brown hair while his hitai-ate was worn like a cap. I hadn't known him personally, nor his partner Kotetsu with the raven black hair.

       "State your business in Konohagakure," said Kotetsu, whacking his partner over the head. He attempted to hide the erotica beneath the entry papers. 

     Though, I had no intention of signing them and leaving Pein a paper trail. 

        I flicked my hood back and removed my mask. In Konohagakure, I was distinguishable as a Root member, but I doubted that Izumo and Kotetsu got around that much or spoke to ANBU. Their collective of gasps was testimony enough that they too thought I was dead. I suppose the whole village did since a conjoin memorial service had been issued for me and Shisui after our 'deaths'.

       "That isn't possible," Kotetsu pulled a cardboard box onto the desk and began to rifle through the files while his partner stared at me as if I'd grown three heads and a tail. Once Kotetsu found my case file, he passed it to Izumo.

        "Etsuko Uchiha," Izumo recited, his lip pulled into his mouth in deep thought. "Devote ANBU and Root Member under the juristicion of Danzo Shimura, supposedly died in the Uchiha massacre. However, no body was recovered or identifiable as hers." Izumo lowered the file as his visible eye narrowed at me. "You have a lot of nerve coming here after faking your death."

     "Are you going to arrest me after I obeyed Hiruzen Sarutobi's orders?" I snapped at him. Knowing Hiruzen, the old man would've gone against my orders and told more than Kakashi Hatake of my fake-your-death plan. No doubt word would've travelled down the proverbial grape vine that my devious plan would soon unravel after I mixed myself up in the Akatsuki. 

      I just hope that wasn't the case.

     Izumo closed the file and reached back under the desk, probably to produce another Icha Icha novel to snicker over with Kotetsu. From the way his lips pressed into a thin line, Icha Icha wasn't the only worry I had in mind. Izumo sent a glance to Kotetsu for permission and his partner nodded. 

      Izumo tossed the notorious Bingo Book at my feet.

       "There may not be a warrant for your arrest," Kotetsu reclined in his chair and propped his feet up on the desk, "but you're. . .well, you can read for yourself."

NAME: Etsuko Uchiha
AFFLICTION: [Former] Konohagakure Nin: ROGUE
AGE: 21
NINJA RANK: [Former] Root Member - ANBU Black Ops
REGISTERED NINJA NUMBER: #242695
DATE OF BIRTH: N/A
ZODIAC SIGN: N/A
HEIGHT: 165cm
WEIGHT: 68.7kg
BLOOD TYPE: A+
ASSIGNMENTS COMPLETED: N/A
BODY COUNT: 25 registered bounties, unknown casualties of ANBU/ROOT affliction, 13 unregistered kills.