Willoughby and Sophia Grey

They were two lumps of coal. One might have said they were two halves made for each other. Although neither had opted to marry for love, any hopes of its development between them was ruined when upon their honeymoon, Willoughby heard of his past lover Marianne Dashwood being near death and rushed to be by her side. 

Sophia had felt herself abandoned with no explanation at all, and no sign from him for days. She had no way to reach him and had had to settle their accounts where they were staying at in Gretna Green. 

The humiliation was too much for Sophia. She could just imagine when the word would get out, as it would! To be sure, it was only a matter of when. There was not enough entertainment in London for the women but to bite each other like ravaging dogs with gossip. 

Well, this would be fresh meat for them and she couldn't abide the look of satisfaction that her aunt, Mrs. Ellison,  would give her when they ran across each other. It was hardly avoidable. 'How could he do this to her?h She had thought when her mind turned again to her husband. The tongue lashing he would receive from her next time they met. He did well in hiding from her sight. She was disgusted at him. Sophia knew very well it wasn't from fear that he stayed away, but indifference. Well now, she was finally in full possession of her wealth and would be on the hunt for her own estate. 

Although there were no strings attached in their relationship, they had agreed that, however either of them decided to lead their lives, it would be done with discretion so as to no bring attention or scandal to the other. But now she could see it was not to be as they had not yet reached one week of having stated their vows that Willoughby had gone off and done this. "The humiliation!" she thought. The marriage had freed Sophia from having to continue living beneath the same roof as her aunt, but now she wondered if it had been worth it. Well, she would be certain to stand firm. If Willoughby didn't respect their agreement, she wouldn't feel obliged to fulfill her part as well. There would be no more heirs to take the name of Willoughby. It would die with him.

She lifted her train of skirts as her maid helped her into her private barouche, "To Somersetshire!" she commanded the driver. 

As an orphan, Sophia had long ago learned to be on her own, so she would arrive to Combe Magna and introduce herself to Mrs. Smith. Her wealth left her at liberty to excuse any rash behavior on her part. She didn't need Willoughby. 

~Combe Magna~

~Combe Magna~

He was drunk. He'd lost track of the days, whether it was day or night. Nothing could bring him pleasure. He'd barricaded himself in his quarters away from his aunt. It had been agreed upon, elderly Mrs. Smith would move to her London house for good once Mrs. John Willoughby had settled into her new countryside estate. 

Her daily inquiries over Sophia were driving him mad, partly with guilt at how he had left her with no word after the wedding. It had brought him to write to her which he dispatched earlier that morning. He had no ideas she had already well and left towards his direction. He wasn't too sure he would be able to stomach the sight of her. He saw her as Mrs. Smith's tool to ruin him. They had both stood in his way of happiness. Sophia had known his situation. He had to tell her about Marianna after that exhibition at the party in London. She had known later what they had meant to each other and had still wanted to marry hi. Her reaction though was enough to let him know she wouldn't forgive him the knowledge of a bastard child.