7: The fifth day

Bilhah's dreams were full of swaying trees with shining silver beads in their branches which loomed over her as she tried to hide. Running east towards the dawn, diving under the soil, down into old rabbit warrens as the trees lifted their roots and exposed her hiding place again and again, always running and never sure if she was fleeing from the trees or fleeing with them from something worse, something unseen but glinting with silver, beyond the reach of her perception.

She was grateful for the morning light, cold but bright with the promise of the nearing spring. Soon it would be the time of the Goddess. Soon these transient days of roads and carriages would be over, and she would begin to fulfil her training and her promise to the Goddess. Begin to serve him. If he accepts her. She must be perfect. She must not let herself become unsettled by mere dreams. She determined to put all thoughts of trees and rabbits out of her mind.

The fourth day of dust and aching bones ended at another Goddess House. This one was at the western edge of Ibseth. Stepping down from the carriage, Bilhah gazed west towards the setting sun and sighed. Tomorrow she would cross the border into Thaleen.

The night passed uneventfully; evening prayers, then food in the kitchen hall where she shared long benches with the other girls whilst Holy Mother sat on the top table with the Sisters. The house was far from full, and most rooms had more beds than girls. Bilhah slept alongside a second cycle girl on the concubine path, who barely spoke and seemed used to hosting visitors.

Morning brought an early breakfast and prayers. The temple was not unbearably cold, unlike at home. The sun was still low when she followed Holy Mother toward the carriage.

Their vehicle was surrounded by a group of girls, huddled together under the supervision of a yawning Sister. Inside, two girls were taking up the benches, leaning out of the door bidding farewells to their friends. So, they would have company for the last two days of travel.

The coach driver tied Bilhah's luggage on the back next to the two new cases, placing Holy Mother's larger bag next to him on the driving seat. Climbing inside, Bilhah took a space on the forward facing bench, exchanging glances with the other two girls but not daring to speak. The carriage was built for two passengers, four was going to be an uncomfortable squeeze. Holy Mother took her leave from the Sister, ordered one of the newcomers to make room, and squashed herself alongside Bilhah. She slammed the door on the group of girls outside, ending their tearful goodbyes. The carriage lurched and the wheels began to turn.

The two girls waved and called goodbye to their friends, but Holy Mother shushed them and gave a lecture on the standards of behaviour she expected in her House. Subdued, all three girls lowered their heads and sat in silence. The carriage rumbled on, its four travellers crushed together on the too-small benches. Bilhah found the physical discomfort more bearable than the sorry silence hanging in the air between them.

After a time, the old woman's head began to nod. Slowly, the girls started to relax. They lifted their eyes to gaze out of the grimy glass, even daring to exchange smiles. All three sat very still, praying that Holy Mother would stay asleep so they could be free of her judgmental gaze. The Goddess must have answered their prayers, because a few moments later the old woman began to snore – gently at first but growing deeper and louder until the carriage shook with her deep roars. One of the Ibseth girls began to giggle. It was dangerously infectious – Bilhah felt the mirth rising inside her. The second Ibseth girl covered her face, desperate to suppress her laughter lest the noise woke their companion. Bilhah fought against it with all her strength, terrified that if the noise didn't rouse Holy Mother, her shaking surely would. Pressing her eyes shut, she focussed on her breathing and tried to think of something sad, something to drag her heart away from indulging in the glee of this surreal relief from tension.