Part One

THE darkness, the cold wind, the art, warm lights, people, music. Everything is the same as Klaus Mikaelson watches from above the Ponte de Rialto. The scenery of the people underneath, boating at the grand canal, the street paintings, the mellow music is almost as similar as the night everything changed for him. The same, except for something that's missing. 

Well, someone.

Except for his daughter, his siblings, everyone who he had to be away from for seven years now, well, it was another someone.

It's not that he wanted to forget all about it, neither to not think of it at all. But the thought of that night keeps going round and round inside his head. His mind keeps replaying it and that's okay, because he promised that he will carry it with him forever. But her being a memory is just one of the most hurtful things he could ever think of, otherwise it keeps him alive.

"You know, I prefer to see it the other way. If it wasn't that night, this bar, that $100 dollar bill, it would have been Jackson Square, staring at a painting. Or Frenchmen Street, listening to jazz. I would have found you."

A weak smile appeared on his face when he thought of that. He is standing at the oldest bridge above the Grand Canal of Venice, hanging his hands intertwined at the railing while staring at nothing else but the thing in between his palms. 

It is a black, velvet little box that he continuously opened then closed. Probably enjoying the popping sound of when the edges of wood collide with each other. Or maybe because he fancies the glimmer of the ornate sides of the diamond when a little bit of light meet them and then closed in the dark again. Perhaps he's just reflecting himself to that object inside the box. Every time he sees even the tiniest fiber of light, the world will have to take it away again, making it darker every single time. 

He sighed. Finally taking out the thing inside the box. It's a platinum band with intricate  engravings around it, topped with a teardrop-shaped, grayish, dark-blue diamond of the size of his pinky finger nail. The symbol engraved at the radius says "brave" and "soul", while the very pricy stone that goes with it is the reputable Hope Diamond. Anyone who sees the ring will sure go hell-bent on getting it, for it looks ethereal and expensive. 

Which it most certainly is. Klaus had this one of a kind jewel in the early 1400s on one of his trips to France, particularly in the now called Nord-Pas-de-Calais. It was given to him as a gift for a king. He's also the reason it is called "The King's Jewel" because before it became very tiny pieces divided in his vault, it used to be an amulet he wore during the days. And by the time when his daughter was born it was surprisingly then called the "Hope Diamond" which now costs a hundred million dollars. While the platinum white metal used was also a little million dollars. A great deal of a fortune to say; perfect to be given to someone he used to tip hundred dollar bills to. 

Yes, it is not for the point of suspense anymore. He would've given it to that one woman that he thought all of these things about. He had lived a thousand years but not a single second had he thought of finally settling down just before she came in. He got the point of not having a point living with wrath, continuing the endless cycle of abuse from his father, having more and more enemies when she entered his life. 

He bit his lip, trying to handle the tears that are seconds away from falling again and colliding with the waters beneath him. This ring...

...he would've given it to Cami.

By the time they confessed their love for each other at that Christmas Night in the balcony and spent the night, sleeping at each other's arms, he felt contented and genuinely happy. Only to find her dead in the morning. He lost it. He almost became his old, wrathful, hateful, unsafe self again. To his relief she woke up, as a vampire in transition, but refuses to be a vampire herself. That day holds the very thing that made him scared... weak. He begged her to be with him. He cannot lose her. That very moment he knew that he would never, ever be a good man or a better father for his daughter without her beside him. That was when he decided to bring this ring to life.