Blame

FRANK'S POV

"What did you do to her?" I screamed at Liam, as I came running into the room.

"Nothing." Sam managed to say through her tears. "Nothing at all."

I was beyond confused at that point, but I let it go, knowing that Sam needed me right now. She needed comfort and someone to take away the pain. And it sure as hell wasn't coming from Liam right about now.

She was sitting on the floor, legs tucked underneath her. Her arms were clutched to her chest like she was trying to keep her sobs from tearing her apart. It broke my heart to see her like this, in pain. The only thing that was going through my mind was that Liam caused this. All of it. And he would pay.

I was about to beat the living fudge out of him, but when I turned, he was gone. Only the scent of his cologne was left hanging in the air.

"Dammit" I muttered.

"Frank. Sam needs you." Jane pleaded.

I nodded, and turned back to Sam and crouched down next to her.

"Shh. It's OK. I'm here now. Everything is going to be OK." I soothed, rubbing small circles on her back.

"No it's not!" she wailed. "Liam's right. It's all on me." she whispered just loud enough for me to hear.

"Sam! Don't ever say that again! This is not your fault. Liam is just a selfish bastard who doesn't give a crap about anyone. If it's anyone's fault, it's his." I explained.

Sam grew silent.

"Maybe your right." she said.

"That's the spirit!" I joked.

She didn't smile.

What did Liam say to her?

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Liam's POV

I know that was a cowardly move. But I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't stand the glares and the painful words thrown at me for something I didn't do. The last thing I heard from Sam was "Maybe you're right." Then Frank said; "That's the spirit!"

What an idiot. He thought that Sam was over me. That she didn't blame herself.

But I knew he was wrong. I was the only one that noticed the hollowness in her voice. She didn't forgive herself, if anything, his words only made things worse for her.

Good.

She deserved all the pain she got.

Even as I thought it. I knew I didn't mean it.

I would never wish that kind of pain where you feel like absolutely nothing on anybody, let alone Sam. But I knew. I knew that pain would never go away unless I let it.

And I wasn't ready for that just yet.

I had to leave. Just for a little while. To get away from everything. The one place that popped into mind was our summer home in Cape Cod.

It was at least a 10 hour drive. That was plenty far away enough for me.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Sam's POV

"Sam, what did Liam say to you?" Frank asked.

I looked into his eyes. I saw so many emotions. Concern. Worry. Sorrow. Anger. But most of all, love.