― twelve: maybe

Start from the beginning

          "I go on the internet." Parker deadpans.

          Leo snorts, "So, you're a misanthrope?"

          "Pretty much, yeah," It's not that Parker hates humanity, it's just that she finds a lot of people to be practically mean, dimwitted, and extremely different from her. If she could live a life where she can avoid most of humankind, and mainly stick to people she actually likes, she would. But that's unthinkable. There's always going to be people she doesn't like. Always. "I don't hate everyone, just some people."

          His eyebrows quirk, "And those people are?"

          "My mom, my dad, and me." She snickers.

          He frowns, "That girl you can hang around with―Cameron, isn't a part of it?" Parker swallows a breath. Right now, she's pretty sure she isn't in Cameron's top ten, so why should she add Cameron to hers? And then, she thinks about appearances and how it ought to seem like she and Cameron are still on good terms. Not that they might be in a fight over something ridiculous.

          "She is." Parker snips, nodding.

          Leo snorts, "Doesn't sound like it."

          "She is!"

          Leo puts up a hand in defense, signaling how he was just kidding and won't insinuate any more. And Parker drops her gaze back toward the window, watching as they pick up speed again. Leo glances between her and the road, again, feeling a little more tension than before. And her firmness has come back in full blast as she sits there stiffly with her feet pitter pattering against the floor of the vehicle.

          "Do you have plans for today?" Leo asks, a cheeky smile fluttering onto his lips.

          Parker glances at him with raised brows. "Yes, school."

          "And after?"

          "Homework." Leo shakes his head as Parker keeps her eyes trained on him. What does he want with her now? To bother her more, as if he hasn't done that enough. They finally reach the school parking lot, and he pulls in, circling around until he parks down at the far corner near the exit. Parker goes to exit, but he keeps the car locked―annoyed, she huffs.

          "Hang out with me after school?" He asks, reaching into the backseat to grab his backpack and shifting his water bottle out of the holder. Parker stares at him with little to no interests. The only reason she'd go with him, is in the chance Nico might get jealous of her being near him. But, what are the chances? He actually looks pleased to have Leo around her, not jealous or angry. "Come on, Parker!" The boy whines, forming a pout on his lips, and pressing his hands into a prayer form. "Come on, hang out with me!"

          Parker scoffs, "And what do you have in mind?"

          "I'll teach you to motocross." He offers while unlocking the car. She bolts―not sparing him a look or answer. Leo locks up his Jeep before jogging up to where she stands only a few inches away from the Jeep. Ahead of them, stands Nico in front of his dark Impala, grinning at the two of them. Leo scowls back, and Parker merely keeps quiet. Not sure whether to be scared or not. Why is he such a stalker?

          Now's the time, she thinks.

          Parker wraps her hands around Leo's arm, leaning closer to him. He looks down at her, confused, and with brows drawn together. "I'll go," His eyebrows lift up in surprise as a smile appears on his lips, once again. With her other hand, Parker lifts up a finger to stop him from saying anything. "But, it's not a date, understand?" The boy over exaggeratedly nods his head―brown hair shagging everywhere―as she pulls him toward the entrance.