The light

Josie's pov

The bus stopped with a harsh thud and I was shaken awake. The engine of the bus started to rumble and I unconsciously gripped tighter onto the girl beside me and looked around the dark bus in fear that we'd encountered another ground breaker. I sighed when I realized that the bus weren't moving and that we apparently had reached our destination. The bus where surrounded by fir-trees that were swaying supply in the wind. The street light on the side road where flickering and a moth fed of the headlights on the front of the bus. A few meters to the left where a mossy wooden sign standing sound in the ditch with big letters carved in. It looked like the beginning of a horror movie. I shivered at the thought. I hated horror movies. That's pretty ironic if you think of it, I practically live in one.

The little town Bracey.
It didn't contain much. A gas station that were also a small pharmacy, a dollar and liquor store an old wood factory and a few abandoned buildings.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Perfect for loner wolfs and maybe even some cranky old people that doesn't seem to need sunlight.
I looked up at the dark sky trough the window, feeling the cold air from outside seep trough the cracks on the sides of the rusty frame.
The clouds where thick and raindrops where making canals down the glass. I moved my eyes to look straight into the dark forest and got absorbed when I saw something odd moving in the darkness. You could see a light peer through the thick trees, as if it was following a path along the stems. My eyes widen as it seemed to stop for a second.
I turned around to show Penelope what I saw but when I turned back to point at it... the light was gone and the forest was once again pitch dark.
A horror movie indeed...
I shifted closer to Penelope on the seat and felt her squeeze my thigh softly to assure me that everything was as it should.

Bert switched off the engine and turned to face us. He looked tired, the small creaky eyes were struggling to stay open and his posture was beginning to look limp.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience you encountered today, young ones." He said and sighed apologetic toward us. "To show you my regrets of letting you go on a day as dangerous as today I booked two rooms for you at the hostel Fleming lodge."
He started to dig in the front pocket of his wrinkly brown vest and let out a satisfied ha.
He pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to Hope who took it and began to overlook the uneven surface.
"Show this certificate to miss Gerd and she will give you your rooms." He said and made sure we understood, then he swung back around and grabbed the steering wheel again and turned the car key to make the engine roll.
"I'll drive you to the gas station, it's a five minute walk to the hostel from there. You won't be given any food at the place so be sure to buy something to eat at the station."
With that the bus took off and we shortly passed the wooden welcome sign and entered the sleeping town. I grabbed Penelope's hand and held it tight. I felt shills down my spine as we crossed a few abandoned buildings and I swore that I saw a light go out in one window of an old mattress factory.

"Josie"

I snapped out of my thoughts and turned to look at the girl saying my name. At once I felt calmes wash over me as I looked into sincere hazel eyes. She smiled assuringly and squeezed my hand in hers. I couldn't help the corner of my mouth to rise and I gently placed my head on her shoulder. I intertwined our arms as I held onto her hand and closed my eyes as I felt her soothing scent becalm every inch of my body.

In the corner of my eyes I saw my sister look at us suspiciously but to be honest, I couldn't care less. I finally felt like my shattered self was healed. I mentally thanked Hope for braking the rules because if she hadn't, I wouldn't have ever made up with my person. Penelope chuckled and I blushed when I realized she'd heard me. I scolded her by slapping her thigh softly but snuggled even closer to her neck.

The bus stopped at the gas station and we all gathered outside on the small parking lot as Bert waved us goodbye and drove of.
We where now on our own.
The soft rain caressed our tired faces as we started to walk towards the metal building. A face of a man could be seen peeking out of the window, like he had never seen a costumer before he quickly flattened out his yellow work uniform and bow tie firmly.
A small bell rattled over the door as we stepped inside. Our clothes all soggy after the damp weather outside. Trembling I closed the distance between Penelope and I to steal some warmth but it was to no use, she was shaking too. She grabbed onto my arm and held it securely.
We greeted the cashier who waved at us awkwardly with a forced smile as we moved along to the first aisle in the small building. The shelf's were almost empty and consisted of only one sort of packed sandwiches, crackers and instant noodles. All from an unfamiliar labels. The next aisle were filled with soft drinks and snacks that didn't seem to have been exchanged or restocked for a good while. The grayish surface over the plastic packagings said it all.