Chapter Thirteen - Don't Go

Start from the beginning

"So it was because of us?"

"No, it was because of Giovanni. He is sick in the head," I replied, shaking my head.

Demetrio shook his head in disbelief. I could tell that he couldn't believe that a man could do that to his wife, but again, through what I went through, some even couldn't speak up from fear.

I left after Demetrio told me to take care of Cindy. He knew that his family didn't give a shit about her, so he had to ask me.

Surprisingly, an hour later Demetrio left for the warehouse. He couldn't stay in bed after staying for a day. I didn't know how he had done it, but he did.

I went to my room and found Cindy already waiting for me on my bed. I sat beside her and started petting her as she purred like the queen she was.

I started thinking about everything.

Demetrio could have died because of me and if I stayed any longer, I could cause more problems for them. I already acted selfishly by coming to them and I couldn't do it again.

Despite the little amount I stayed with them, I had never felt at home before. They were a lovely family and accepted to help me despite not knowing anything about me other than I was Giovanni's ex-wife.

The sound of my ringtone cut my thoughts off, drawing me back to reality.

"Yes?" I answered without checking the caller id. This phone was given to me by Lorenzo and only the family's numbers were on it.

"Leila, it's me Demetrio." His voice came out huskily.

"Yes, Demetrio?"

"I am just calling to check up on Cindy, is she with you?" he asked.

"Yes, she is and she's fine-playing around," I replied.

"Okay, good," he said.

"So? Do you need anything else?" I asked in confusion because he didn't say anything else.

"Don't you want to know if I am good?" he asked and I could sense the confusion in his voice.

"I was with you an hour ago and you seemed fine," I replied.

Why is he even still talking?

"Oh, right...yeah. Well, thank you for taking care of Cindy."

"No problem."

After we hung up, I exited my room and made my way downstairs. I walked into the living room and spotted Valeria sitting on the couch, holding a book as usual.

"Hey," I started.

She looked up and smiled. I was relieved a bit.

"How are you feeling?" I asked hesitantly.

"This is not even the first time he has been shot, but every time is like the first time," she said weakly, putting the book aside.

"I am s-"

"Stop. Don't even apologize. It is not your fault, Leila." She cut me off. "We have been in war with the Russo's for a while now and you didn't start it," she continued.

"I know Valeria, but maybe if I am not here, Giovanni would focus on finding me than fighting you," I said hoping she won't get a hint that I wanted to leave.

"Are you implying that you want to leave?" she asked and a frown covered her face. "What about your baby?"

Fuck

"I will find a way...I don't know."

"That's not happening," she firmly said. "You are not leaving this house, hell, not even Lorenzo will allow it."

"I am bad luck, Valeria. Everything dark and bad will follow your family. When I first came here, all I was only thinking about was myself. I was selfish, but now I cannot stay knowing that I am trouble."

"Okay so if you left, what if he finds you? What about your baby? He will kill it!" she yelled.

"It would not be the first time he kills my baby!" I yelled back.

I know. I am selfish. I am not thinking straight, and I hate myself for that.

"W-What?" Confusion spread all over her face.

"Two years ago, I got pregnant. When he came back one night super drunk, he hit me. He hit me till I choke on blood. The next day, I checked on myself and found blood. The doctor told me that the baby is dead." A tear escaped my eye recalling that moment.

"Oh my god..." Her eyes were watery, and she stepped closer to me and hugged me. "Then protect this one. Don't leave."

"I am not meant to be a mother, Valeria."

"You are. If you weren't, God wouldn't create this angel inside you." She said softly. "Don't go, Leila."

***

The next morning, I woke up to too many noises coming from downstairs. I quickly washed my face and wore something decent.

Walking downstairs, I recognized the voices; Angelica and Adam.

Great.

"Good morning." I greeted everyone. Angelica looked at me as if she saw Satan. She looked mad and about to attack me. Demetrio surprisingly is here. He couldn't stay one more day at the warehouse.

"Oh, you're still here? I thought you would have left after what happened." Angelica said rudely. What does she mean?

"Why is that?" I asked calmly.

"You almost got Demetrio killed!" She yelled.

"Angelica STOP!" Adam yelled.,

I have had enough with this bitch.

Bitch mode on