Chapter 8

I wake up alone. Again. I have this gut feeling that Niklaus is hiding something huge. I walk downstairs towards his office. The door is wide open. His office, is well... completely trashed. His desk is overturned, papers everywhere, it looks like there's a hole in his wall. He sits in his chair, head in his hand. He looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, who knew maybe he does. Though I wouldn't know because he doesn't talk to me. I walk over cautious, I can't handle another rejection. I talk softly "why don't I make you something to eat". He looks up at me, bags under his eyes like he hasn't slept in days. He looks stressed, anxious but mostly tired. I take his hand and lead him upstairs.

I tell him to get cleaned up while I make his food. We eat in complete silence. He looks so sad, its heartbreaking. I guide him to our bedroom. He falls asleep as soon as he hits the mattress. He shouldn't let himself get like this. I just watch him sleep, it puts my mind at ease. I feel guilty though, I think the attack might have put him on edge.

I must have fallen asleep because when I open my eyes I find him staring at me. I ask quietly "are you still mad at me", he responds austerely "yes". "I'm sorry" he says "I know". I sigh "just tell me whats wrong". He growls "what do you think, there is someone after you, me". "Why", he growls "does it matter, I am taking care of it". I sigh, he is impossible.

When he gets out of bed his shirt rides up and reveals that nasty scar. I ask tenderly "you don't have to hide it but how did you get that scar". I know I shouldn't have asked because as soon as I asked his eyes start to go black. He is yelling "why are you so damn curious, huh why can't you let things be".  I remain silent and I think this only infuriates him more.  "What do you want me to say"!  I answer swiftly "the truth".  He replies heatedly  "The truth Huh, the truth is that the man who gave me this scar is the reason I visit the remainder of my family in a graveyard.  And who might this motherfu**** be? Well you asked for it ... my uncle, cliche I know right? and the scar was his parting gift." I could hear the pain in his voice and the agony sketched on his face. We stand there eyes locked on one another until I leap forward and hug him, he stiffens but eventually relents. I whisper "I'm sorry I pushed you" he sighs and buries his head in the crook of my neck. I hold him there for awhile, afraid to let go.

I step away "Niklaus, I know opening up is hard for you, you have already told me so much today. But if you don't tell me what's wrong I cant help you fix the problem. Why do you insist on keeping me in the dark?". He sits down on the bed and pats the spot next to him.

He starts "I never wanted it be like this" I starts to say something but he glares. "I never expected to find you. We have been planning this for the past 2 years. The peace treaty meeting wasn't real, it was a set up, we were trying to weed out any traitors. Then I met you." He smiles "There is a very dangerous man who is headman of the black market operation with hundreds of rouges at his disposal. He has been planning to overthrow all the packs, me in particular. I and all the other packs have created an alliance. We are going to destroy him and the black market once in for all. Our final attack is suppose to be Theo's coronation, its a deploy. On of our inside guys leaked us the info. This has been in the makings for months. So right in the middle of our war, I meet you. Perhaps now you might understand my surprise and hesitation." I sit back flabbergasted "I ..uh.. did everyone know about this". He grimaces 'yeah" I scowl "My parents, Seth, Nina, Paul, Layla". He nods "so you have all known about this and I have been kept oblivious"? He nods again, I palm my face "I must have looked so stupid to all of them". He chuckles "if it makes you feel better they all thought it was endearing". I question "So you knew Theo before I introduced you"? he smirks "he is an essential part of this operation. He helped us with all the interrogating and dirty work". I ask hesitantly "then why did you react like that at the picnic" Niklaus growls "he was being flirty with you". "What about him becoming Alpha, his mate", Niklaus shrugs "the alpha thing was merely coincidence so we decided to use it to our advantage as for the mate thing, sadly its true. That's actually what I think drove him to becoming so involved with the operation".

I shake my head, "Why, why did you not tell me any of this" he sighs "I wanted to tell you, I was planning on telling you after all this was over. In all my experiences I come to the conclusion that the most oblivious, are the safest."  I laugh "why does it feel like are relationship is built on a lie". He grabs my face "Don't, I might have met you at an inconvenient time but I thank God for you everyday.  Every look, every word, every kiss was real". I tear up "thank you, I love you". He pulls me in for a kiss.  I pull away "ok all of that has been explained but why have you been so upset lately". He sighs "we have from an unconfirmed source that Demetri might have cached wind of our plan. He is currently  planning the assignation of us". I shrink back "Demetri as in Demetri the Destroyer, I.. I mean I have heard stories about him but I though he was fictitious". Niklaus grumbles "he is as real as can be", I sigh "who exactly is Demetri".  Niklaus deadpans "He is my Uncle".