Sophie turned and pointed to us. Then she jumped out of Mia's arms and ran straight into mine, burying  her face in my neck.
Tasha looked speechless, staring at Sophie and I.

Everyone went silent, but surprisingly, it was the Russian who broke the silence. "Your daughter?" he asked in a hollowed voice. His face held so many emotions. Betrayal, confusion, sadness, hurt. Everything I felt when he left me. I turned away from him and focused Tasha. "Yes. This is my little princess, Sofia, " I introduced with pride.
Tasha looks like she finally got a grip of herself.

"Congratulations, Rose. She's beautiful. Now that i look at her, the resembles is uncanny," said Tasha. Dimitri still looks like someone slapped him.
"Is her dad here?" asked Tasha.  And this is what I wanted to avoid. Any conversation discussing Sophie's father. I never planned on telling Dimitri about Sophie and vice versa. I definitely didn't want to tell them now in front of everyone.
"Umm... her dad is..."
"Me."
Everyone turned and stared at Christian.

I didn't know what to say, so I just held onto Sophie, who was, for once, quite.
Tasha looked utterly shocked. "What did you say?"
"Sophie is mine," says Christian.
"You can't be serious, Christian. Tell me you're lying," she whispered. "It's true, Sofia is our daughter,"
"How could you have kept this from me?" hissed Tasha. I could see she was trying to control the storm in eye pale blue eyes. She wasn't taking this well. "I didn't know how to. So much happened so fast I didn't have time to-"
"You didn't have time? In five years you didn't have a single moment to call and tell me about this?" she looked genuinely hurt and upset, but something else as well. She looked angry, no, livid.

"Can you guys not do this in the middle of the courtyard! People are starting to stare" whisper-yelled Adrian. I looked around us and sure enough curious eyes were on our little spectacle. "He's right. This isn't the place for this" said Christian. Tasha clearly wasn't done but she nodded her head and walked away. After one last long look Dimitri followed after her into the courtroom.

Once they're gone I pass Sophie to Mia and promise to see her again after the meeting. "Mommy I don't want to go" she says. She was clearly upset with what just happened but it would be worse if she came with me into the meeting. "I promise, I won't be long and Mia really wants to spend time with you." "Mommy who was that lady?"
"That was my aunt Tasha. She looked after me when I was young" replied Christian. "Why was she so upset?"
"Its complicated, my darling but we will explain everything to you but just not now, okay?" She nods her head and I gently kiss her on her forehead.
"Come Sophie. Lets go on that tour" says Mia. I could see she really wasn't that excited about it as before but she went along anyway.

When we're alone I turn to Christian.
"What the hell is wrong with you?How could you say that?" I hissed.
"Say what?" he asks with that lazy smirk.
"I'm serious Christian. How could you tell them that you're Sophie's father?" I demanded. How could he think it was okay to publicly confess to that. It would mean complete social suicide and there's no coming back from being a moroi father to a dhampire child. Even if they looked past his parents crimes, there was no way to erasing the stigma that came with having relations with dhampires. Even if it means the survival of the race. You were always seen as a disgrace for it. Especially if your relationship is public. He knew this. He had to have known this. And yet...

"I saw you freeze there. Besides what were going to say? The truth?" he scoffed. "Yeah, that would have been so much better."
"Still, you had no right to-"
"No right? I raised her, Rose! I took care of her, supported both you and her ever since she was born, hell even before she was born. That's a hundred times more than what Belikov can say. She may not my mine by blood but Sophie is my child. I love her like my own" said Christian, slightly breathlessly. It took me a moment to finally move but when I could I gently touched his cheek, turning his face to look at me. He was breathing heavy and I could tell he's been wanting to get this off his chest for a while.

"I just wanted a title in her life" he says softly.
"Why didn't you tell me any of this sooner? Christian, you have been everything and more to both Sofia and I. I couldn't have asked for a better co-parent to help me raise Sophie. You have been the best dad to her. I just don't want this to hurt you in the future. I don't want me and my life to get in way of yours."
"Don't be ridiculous. You two are my family. Why would I want or even care about a future without you guys in it?"

I couldn't hold my tears in any longer. I let them fall and he pulled me towards his body. He lazily swung his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my head. "Thank you, Christian. For everything."

My worries and fears seem to fade while near him. It was weird, feeling so secure with someone that only their  presence could  make even the shittiest of situations okay. I found myself in his arms more and more lately, but still, for some reason, it wasn't enough. I wanted more. I wanted to feel more of the warmth from his body and drown in the smell of his cologne. I wanted more. No, I needed more.
Shocked, I pulled away from him abruptly, turning away so he wouldn't see the blush creeping on my face.
"We should umm..we should really go in now. They're probably waiting on us." He looks a little confused but brushes it off, "Yeah you're right. Come on, let's get this over with."

Let's indeed.