The day passed excruciatingly slowly, each second counting down to the moment in which all of these nerves were for. I think people had noticed that something was up because I had been told several times to 'just breathe' by my friends- easy for them to say. Our little group had extended over the past four months. It now included May's boyfriend- Blake. Well... she insisted that he was a friend but anyone with two eyes could see the chemistry between the two of them. Plus, he'd asked her to prom using banners held by his teammates after football practice.

We had also gained two other members: a boy named Eddie, who had come to us with worries about coming out to his parents and his extremely new boyfriend, Gideon. We all sat together at lunch today which was a rare occasion because often it was difficult for us to find a table in the canteen since seniors get their food last. May, Brie and Taylor (he had apologised the Monday after what had happened, realising that what he had done was wrong) were discussing their exams and how well they had thought they'd done.

Melody nudged me lightly.

"You nervous about your exam results?" She asked and I turn to her.

"Not really... I tried my best, and at this point, there's nothing more you can do," I stated, matter-of-factly and she rested her head on my shoulder.

"I love you..." She murmured and my heart skipped a beat. Even four months after she had first said it, the three words still made adrenalin shoot through my veins. In fact, I didn't think that feeling would ever dull. Lunch ran by a little quicker because I had the girl I loved by my side but it still felt slow. Almost as if the world had slowed down so that the wait for this single moment would create as much restlessness within me as possible.

*** 

Mel's POV

Thalia was acting weird all day and I thought that I may have had the smallest clue why... It was cute that she was so nervous. Science ended with the final ring of the bell and the class dispersed slowly. A hand intertwined with mine and I smiled at the beautiful red-haired girl beside me, who swang our hands slightly, most likely from nerves. 

"I wanna show you something..." The other girl murmured in my ear, causing my mouth to curve up at the sides.

"What something...?" I smiled, turning so I'm looking into her eyes. Her mystifying orbs flickered from a dark teal to olive green as I pulled her towards me. 

"It's a secret..." She murmured nervously and I narrowed my eyes at her slight stutter.

"Okay..." I said quietly, not wanting to make her even more nervous than she obviously seemed.

 The girl led me with her hands over my eyes, which felt extremely reminiscent of a while before all of this- when I was still figuring out my feelings. I was so lost in my mind that as I'd led the girl, who I would later fall tragically in love with, to the riverbank I hadn't known that I would finally do what I'd wanted to for so long.

When she raised her hands and the curtain of darkness rose, I observed that same riverbank but different, much different. There were fairy lights, winding up the surrounding trees, flowers which coated the sides of the bank and around the stump of a large tree in the corner of my periphery. It was so beautiful. In the centre of the grass lay a picnic rug and a light brown basket, with lit candles surrounding it. I turned to kiss Thalia on the cheek, squealing slightly.

"I love it, babe. It's so beautiful!" I exclaimed and the girl smiled nervously, making her even cuter.

"Really...? I.. wanted to make this special... and..." She stuttered, her cheeks turning a light red. I smiled at the sight of my girlfriend all flustered, wrapping my arms around her waist.

"Yeah, I love it..." I murmured, burying my neck in her shoulder. A second later, she placed a finger under my chin, raising my head in order to lock our gazes.

"So... there was a purpose for me being crazy nervous all day..." she muttered, watching as my smile grew.

"Yes," I said abruptly, cutting her off.

"What?"

"Yes, I'll go to Prom with you!" I exclaimed excitedly, lightly pressing my finger to the tip of my girlfriend's nose. Her mouth curved down slightly at the corners, making me anxious as to whether that was what she was going to ask or not, "Was that... not what you were going to ask or..." She cut me off by locking our lips together, sending that never-fading thrill all around my body.

"Of course it was..." She looked at me for a moment seemingly contemplating the situation, "I just... I've been nervous for this moment for weeks... and I didn't even get to say it..." I smiled as she posed an exaggerated frown.

"I'm sorry, my love," I said in a baby voice which caused a vibrant grin to decorate Thalia's face, "Now... let's enjoy this beautiful picnic, shall we?" I held out my hand which my girlfriend grasped ahold of eagerly and we laid under the hanging branches of the tree. And where we laid, even as the sun began to crawl it's way below the horizon. It was perfect.

A/N

I hope you enjoyed! Thank you for reading it means the world and I hope you are all staying safe💕