We Are All Human

"I missed this..." Kye said as he smiled at me. We were all sat in a cafe near the school, bar Taylor of course, he had gone home to calm down after everything that had happened. I smiled sadly at Brie,

"I'm sorry..." I begin, however, I am stopped midsentence.

"Don't you even, it was his fault and he knows it. He'll come around," she ordered, squeezing my arm as a sign of reassurance. I smiled softly and just let the moment settle around me. My best friends in the whole world, my girlfriend, all sat together, laughing and having fun. No hate. No secrets. Just a group of people who all mean the world to each other, talking and enjoying being together. I rested my head on my girlfriend's shoulder and felt her hand move to tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"You look so beautiful..." She whispered into my ear as the waitress came over with our food. Three mugs of coffee, a bagel and a glass of water were placed on the table. Kye grabbed the bagel eagerly and both May and Brie chuckled, reaching out for a mug each. Thalia pulls my glass of water over to me and pulls the mug towards herself. I just watched as she did so, the way the crevices of her face moved so slightly as she did so. She looked over at me in question and I shrugged, chuckling a little.

"So... is it just me who feels like a third wheel?" May blurted out abruptly and small spurts of laughter erupted around the table.

"There's five of us..." I murmured in a slight protest; I was so emotionally tired from the day that I really couldn't be bothered to put up a proper fight.

"Great maths! Now let's count the number of times you've gazed at that girl adoringly in the past minute!" Brie added, making scarlet flush to both mine and Thalia's cheeks, "Just kiss already!" Brie grinned at us, making me instantly happy that she was so supportive of me. I really didn't deserve friends like these. Thalia smiles softly and leans to press a quick kiss to my lips. I watched Kye out of the corner of my eye as we part but there's no sign of discomfort in his eyes. He's just happy that I'm happy. I snuggled further into Thalia's embrace, moving so I can smell the wafts of caffeine from the mug. I crinkled my nose in disgust, I hate caffeine- always have always will. The girl beside me chuckled and I watched her eyes fixate on my lips. I sat up a little, my lips nearing hers, despite the fact there were three pairs of eyes latched onto us. My lips hovered centimetres from hers and in the last second before they met, I pulled away.

Thalia's lips parted in protest but I pressed my finger to them, smiling to myself.

"Wow, new Melody's a tease..." May states as she takes another sip of her coffee. I rolled my eyes at her and my friends all chuckled softly. Seconds after, Thalia dropped a quick kiss on my cheek while I wasn't paying attention and I hit her on the shoulder playfully.

"Haven't you ever heard of consent?!" I joked and the other girl just smiled at me, "Knock that stupidly charming smirk off your face..." I said, my voice slowly losing its steadiness as I lose myself in her eyes.

"Earth to Mel!" Brie yelled abruptly, waving her hand in front of my face. I just glared at her and she shrugged in response, the faint outline of a smirk obvious on her face.

"So I'm gonna go before these two start doing, who knows what on the table... see you all tomorrow?" May said cheerfully, standing up from the table, "Brianna?" She held out her arm in question for the other girl to grab it. Brie grinned, hopping up from the table and saying goodbye before grabbing hold of May's arm.

"We're off, love you all!" I smiled.

"Love you!" I called after them.

***

I texted back a quick 'See ya! xx' and laid down on my bed, a grin stretched across my face

I texted back a quick 'See ya! xx' and laid down on my bed, a grin stretched across my face. It did kind of suck that I couldn't spend the night in my girlfriend's embrace but I was glad that she was happy and settled into her temporary home. I knew she was terrified of doing this at first and I was proud that she had done it despite that fear. I think then of how far we've come from the beginning, where I was entranced by this girl I'd only just met, when I didn't really understand love. I did now. Because I knew I was falling, it had happened unexpectedly and abruptly but I wouldn't change it for the world. I wouldn't change her for the world.

Kye's POV

Love is a strange thing. Sometimes it can be unrequited love other times, unconditional. But despite the circumstance, it is all the same. It's a blessing to have ever felt it In the first place. I could be angry at her. I could be bitter and jealous. In fact, I thought I would be, for a long time. But, as I watched the two of them together, I could see it in their eyes- love. And it was so pure and innocent I could no longer feel the hate that had begun to reside within me during that party. Because there was a look on the face of the girl I love that I had never seen before. A face of pure happiness and adoration. How could I get in the way of that?

Love means you would do anything to make that person happy. So why would I spoil that? When I first met her she was so innocent, she hadn't really had many good friends before and was very much oblivious to most of the world. But now... the fact that she was able to go in front of the school like that, the fact that she could understand the love she felt for me even when I didn't and that she could stand up against someone who was previously a good friend; it shows how much she'd begun to understand the world. 

And it is true. I love her. And she might not return that in the way that I hoped that she would but, what she said was right. The fact that she didn't hide that from me shows me that she did care and that she's nothing but a teenager trying to grasp ahold of the world. We all were, in fact. We make mistakes just like I had at that party, and how Taylor had at school. But, we learn and grow and develop as people. We learn to love to the fullest and that sometimes life doesn't work as you might have wanted it to but you've just got to grasp the opportunities that you get and live as much as you can in the short space of time we have on this earth.

So... I've learnt and I've forgiven. I learnt that love is so much more complex than I ever had thought and that you must always see the good in the bad. Yeah, it stings that I didn't mean as much to her as I wanted but it also means that there is someone out there who could love me as much as I could love them and that's something to look forward to. For now, I'll just be happy that she's happy and that's enough for me.

A/N

Okay, so I know this chapter may seem a little cringy but since times are pretty rough right now I thought, hey, why not? 

People make mistakes, it's human. Forgiveness is one of the kindest things you can ever do because we are all constantly learning and growing and becoming better people and I believe that we can come out of the other side of this whole thing as a more caring and understanding race. So... yea, things suck right now, but they will get better and I believe that in the end there will be lessons learnt which will then allow us to even further grow and adapt as people. 

Stay safe and stay kind, you are all incredible thank you so much for reading. Have a lovely day!

(PS- Sorry for the rant, I'm kind of infamous for those...)