THE DREAM OF OUR FUTURE (REWRITTEN)

Start from the beginning

*******

After class, I took over Ji Yang's role in showing the new student around, although I didn't get asked. My best friend stood with his mouth agape as I led Xiaozhan out of the classroom. I bet he was wracking his brain to answer why I was volunteering myself on the job I hated without having him to beg me.

The first destination that I brought Xiaozhan to was the administration office, for I found it the most important one. However, I almost crawled into a rabbit hole.

"I already know where this is," he said after we arrived. "I came here to register the transfer."

Inwardly smacking my head, I almost lost my cool composure. How could I be so stupid?

Clearing my throat, I hurriedly divert the topic, "Okay. Let's go to the next place then."

We walked around the campus, the swimming pool, the basketball court, the karate room, and many more facilities. Lastly, we made it to the last room in the secluded corner at the end of the hall.

Xiaozhan's feet stopped dead once we passed it, looking through the door's glass gap to the interior in fascination. His action showed that he was interested in it, so I decided to take the initiative.

"This is the music room. Do you want to go in and have a look?"

"Sure," he replied and waited for me to push the door open before walking in.

The inside was silent, except for the creaking sound of the old wooden door opening and closing. It had been a while since anyone came to this room. Still, the mahogany floor was spotless with not a single speck of dust.

Xiaozhan specifically headed toward a glass cabinet with a few musical instruments stored. If I wasn't mistaken, he was looking at the one on top.

A black flute.

"Whose flute is this?" he turned to ask.

I walked to where he was. Subconsciously, my hand brought me to open the glass door even though he didn't tell me to. "It was mine. I bought it a year ago, planning to learn it. But I lost interest. So, I left it here. It had been staying inside the glass ever since. Basically, it counts as new."

"Oh," he muttered, continuing to look at the thing as if it was the only thing that got his attention.

"Do you want to play it?"

Once again, my hand moved on its own, lifting to take the black flute from its shelf.

"Can I?"

"Of course. It's made to be played, not to be hanging as decoration." I handed the flute to him.

It was funny, came to think about it. I didn't even ask if he could play or not. But something told me he could. Either it was my gut feeling or instinct; I wasn't sure.

"Thanks," he received the flute with a smile, walking to one of the stools near the window and sitting down.

I was about to ask him if he needed a music book to play when the flute already found its way to his lips, producing a soothing tune.

My hand stopped dead as it hovered over a stack of music books inside the glass cabinet once the melody echoed throughout the room.

The same music that the guy in a black and red robe played in one of my dreams.

I turned to look at Xiaozhan only to meet with a gentle gaze of his as he stared right back at me since who-know when.

*******