THE DREAM OF OUR FUTURE (REWRITTEN)

"What did you just call me?"

"Lan Zhan," he said confidently. His smile remained the same. "Did you forget your own name?'

"I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken. I am Lan Yibo. Not Lan Zhan."

His face dropped, along with his smile. His cheerful face turned solemn as he stared right deep into my eyes as if he was searching for something. Something dark and distant, given his expression. I suddenly felt very intimidated under his gaze that I couldn't even move an arm or leg. It was almost as if he hypnotized me.

"I see..." He murmured before putting back the charming smile just like a few seconds ago. "You're right. I must be mistaken. Sorry about that."

Despite his apology, I could see it in his eyes that he didn't. Those pairs of doe-like jet black eyes that were as dark as his hair depicted no guilt. Not even the slightest.

"I am Wei Xiaozhan, by the way. A new student." He got up and extended a hand for me to shake.

I hesitated, looking at it as if shaking his hand was the most severe thing to be contemplating on.

"What's wrong? Is my hand too dirty?" He chuckled.

I couldn't understand why I am behaving so uncharacteristically rude towards this new boy. He did nothing wrong besides calling out my name's wrong. Do I have to take this seriously?

Brushing the thought away, I take his extended hand. "I'm the vice-president of this class. My name is一."

"Lan Yibo. I know. You just told me." He cut me off.

We stared at each other in silence, and if I weren't mistaken, I felt the grip on my hand tighten. I jerked it gently to let him know that he had been putting pressure on my hand, to which he responded by letting it go.

"So, if you don't mind what I am asking, who is the person you called? The name is Lan Zhan, isn't it?"

"Oh. He is someone very important to me. I lost him once, and I am planning on finding him back."

His answer made me feel a stabbing pain in my heart as if someone shot an arrow right at it. My upper body bent slightly, and my hand subconsciously found its way to claw the left side of my chest. I gritted my teeth to hold back the yelp that was about to escape my lips, swallowing it back in and refusing to let loose.

"Are you alright?" he asked, still standing where he was without moving.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly rose, surprisingly finding the pain slip away as quickly as it came.

"I'm fine. Thanks."

I wanted to pick up the topic about Lan Zhan again but found it way too intrusive to ask someone I just exchanged names today. I decided to let it go.

I headed to my seat with a weak smile that was right behind him and pretended to search for something inside my bag. I stole a glance under my eyelashes to see Xiaozhan shrugged and sat down, continuing with his writing.

At first, I thought he was the guy in my dream—the one with a black and red robe. But as far as I remembered, that guy's name should be Wei Ying, not Xiaozhan, which apparently meant that this new student wasn't the one.

Nevertheless, I couldn't get my mind off this newbie. There was something about him that kept making me curious, leaving mysteries unsolved right inside my head. I couldn't put my fingers on it yet, but I was planning to investigate it.

How?

I would have to step out of my comfort zone. Forgetting my own rule, I had to befriend this so-called stranger turned classmate.