Part 11- Alone

Part 11 - Alone

Water runs so endlessly, so endlessly against time,

It trickles from my hand, and I look up for a sign.

If currents where to feel emotion, to scream form loss and hate,

Then they too would endure my despare before it is too late.

I stop running. My heart is beating wildly and my vision is foggy from tears. I've lost him. He's gone, all alone and desperately confused...

I sob, pouring my heart and emotion into the situation and roughly wipe my tears from my cheek, feeling helpless and depressed.

I slap myself on the face to wake myself up. I cannno't act like this; it will only make me weaker and vulnerable. Thresh would want me to win these games, wouldn't he?

No. People say those things, and never mean them. If Thresh and I were to compete as the final two in these games, I would be killed in an instant. Thresh knows all of my tactics already...

I tell myself to shut up and keep walking. I'm going to survive. I can do this, and live a peaceful life in District 5 all... alone. Do I really want that? I don't really want to die at the moment, either, so I guess I'll just stick with living by myself for the rest of my days.

It's dawn, and I set up camp near a cluster of trees, keeping an eye out for muttations. I have plenty of food and water to last me about a week, then hopefully I will be kept alive by Alius. All of this drama must have gained me at least a few sponsors... I mean, it's not like I'm after an expensive meal or anything.

Although my thoughts waver to Thresh every second, I erase them from my mind. If I focus, I can live. Thresh is strong, yes, and quite frightening at times, but he lacks skill and patience. Just like Cato.

If I didn't win these games, I wonder who will. Katniss and Peeta are still alive, which is an advantage over the remaining tributes. Both of them can win. Or... at least that's what they think.

The game - makers are sneaky and cunning. In a way, they remind me of myself. But I would never do this to a person; never give them the clinging hope that there will be two victors. Katniss and Peeta are supposedly in love, but I 've seen the way Katniss acts. She thinks for herself, hunts for herself and knows her well being. Peeta is just part of the show.

Although, when I was in training, I remember the look in Peeta's eyes whenever she came near him. I do believe that he truly loves Katniss. Seneca Crane may contain a spark of hope, but will demolish it if the pair of tributes from District 12 actually survive until the end of this torment.

I can remember Cato screaming; screaming for Clove to come back to him. Maybe there was something between the two as well? Or was that also for show, or a last minute thing in case he was to die?

Cato won't die. Not until a long time yet. I'm afraid, because I know that if it comes down to Cato and I as the last standing tributes, he will be in for a fight. To Cato, there's no such thing as mercy or a quick death. It's always slow, painful, and always for the camera's.

If it came down to Thresh and I... well, I don't even want to think about that. I'll cross that bridge later.

Then again, would Katniss survive?/ If it turned out that she was my last opponent, I wouldn't last very long. Katniss, instead of the Careers, has actually been my real threat. She's a hunter, and knows how to track her targets. If it came down to us, I'd have to wipe every track, secure every leaf that I'd brushed past and dispose of any parachutes that may be sent to me.

Unlike the Careers, Katniss has always been smart. She knows how to claim an audience and how to keep herself alive. My main worry is if she would actually kill me. She had the chance once, on our first day in this arena. I think that we were both to scared back then anyway. Not anymore; Katniss has a family to care for, I don't.

Why am I even thinking about this? Cato despises Katniss with a passion. She killed Glimmer and the boy from District 1. He should be going after her, not me. I remember how the Career's always looked past me in the training centre, so maybe he thinks I wont be a problem until 'The End.'

I can't believe Thresh. He killed Clove. I know that it was a good thing to do at the time, but what if Clove had killed Katniss? That would have been good for us, less of a threat.

But then again, it would have given District 2 an advantage that nobody else except for 12 had. But then again, Thresh also killed that boy from the cornucopia. I think it was wise for me to move on, I could have easily been killed next.

The sun is rising, and I allow myself to have three sips of water and a small ration of food. As I get up and pack my things away, I have to remind myself to take extra care, because now I have another enemy to look out for.

Making sure my surroundings are free of other tributes, I walk with my backpack on, the weight on my shoulders slightly harsher than usual.

It's a really nice day today. The sun is out, and I want to enjoy it. If I were at the power plant at this time of day, I would be cooped up in a small office watching the rain, sleet or sun. Instead I'm here.

I nibble on a cracker as I quietly make my way through the forest. I actuallly have no idea where I'm going; hopefully somewhere where water is near.

I can hear the sound of chirping birds in the trees. They sound familiar, but not like normal birds. I think Katniss knows what they are, but I'm not going to ask any time soon.

As I treck through the forest, making little sound on the earth, I can hear muffled voices. I freeze in my tracks; who is it?

I'm starting to panic now, I could get caught! I quickly scan the area and hide behind the thick trunk of an oak tree.

"I'll take the bow," I hear.

"Kidding! I'll go gather some berries or something."

I risk my life by slowly venturing out into the open. I hide behind a bush and conceal myself behind berries.  I would take a look at this food source, but I am more interested in the people who have stumbled upon my 'camp.'

Thorns scratch my neck as I peer through a gap in the shrub, and see two tall people talking. I can't make out who they are, I can't see their heads or their district number on their shirts.

One of the figures, who are holding a bow and arrows, walks away from their ally. The male, at least, I think it's a male, walks closer to where I'm hiding and begins to pick the berries.

I can make out his face now. Soft, kind blue eyes twinkle even though he's in the hunger games. Smooth blonde hair waves roughly over his head, making him look pretty, in a sort of way. I can see the number 12 printed on his shoulder.

It's Peeta, from district 12. I'm pretty sure he's with Katniss as well. This could be a threat to me. Do I really want to be exposed to the tributes of district 12? I may as well just stay and watch what happens, anyway. I can't exactly go anywhere at the moment.

Peeta begins to gather the berries that grow on the bush I'm hiding behind. The berries are a dark blue in colour, and remind me of blue-berries.  One of them brushes against my right eyebrow, and I silently pluck one and have a look.

I split the berry open with my fingernail, and see that the insides are a luscious red, and immediately my brain identifies them as nightlock.