Part 5 - Bloodbath

CHAPTER FOUR - BLOODBATH

I wake up early the next morning, my red mane of hair plastered to my forehead with sweat from the anticipation. This may be my last day alive, and I can't afford to think like this. I don't bother getting changed, as my stylist, Octavius, will make me change anyway. I imagine Octavius' life in the Capitol. It must be glorious. No work, an endless supply of food, luxury... the list seems endless. I know that if I win The Hunger Games, my life will be transformed into one like his.

I decide that I need a hearty breakfast before the Games. Starving is the most recent cause of death, Atlanta, my trainer had said. I walk into the kitchen, where my mentor, Alius, stylist and presentor, Zaera Leafe, await me with nervous looks. I sit into one of the plump orange chairs and an Avox immediatly comes to my side, aiding me with eggs, bacon and orange juice. I make a mental note not to make myself sick.

Alius sits in front of me, his fading orange tinted skin matching the colour of my orange juice. I guess he took the Capitol life as soon as he won The Hunger Games. I don't blame him. Alius peers into my eyes, making me feel insecure.

" Are you alright, Finch? You know your strategy?" I gulp down a mouthful of rubbery eggs, the leathery taste still lingering in my mouth.

"I'm fine, I know exactly what I'm doing."

Alius looks me over more carefully, considering my chances of surviving the bloodbath. The Careers will dive into the weapon supply supported by the Cornucopia, and use them on fellow tributes, trying to see how many they can kill in a day.

My thoughts, and Alius' stares are interuppted by Zaera leaping from her chair like she'd sat on the sharp edge of a pin.

"Goodmorning, Eric! Quickly, quickly, we need to finish breakfast! The Games are to start in an hour. Oh, you lucky contestants! May the odds be ever in your favour!"

With that Zaera left. Porbably to straighten her light aqua wig, or give herself a fluro tan. I glance over at Eric, who has evidently been crying. His dark skin is blotched with red, his eyes rimmed with strain marks. Octavius pulls me from my seat, suspecting I'm done with breakfast.

"Let's go and get you all pampered up!"

I take a last glance at Eric over my shoulder as Octavius leads me away, knowing that his spirit is breaking.

                                                                               *****

After I am washed down, plucked and changed into a pair of regular trousers, shoes, an orange top ( which I'm quite worried about ) and a black jacket, I am lead by Peacekeepers into the room underneath the arena. My hair is tied up into two singular buns, to keep out of my way when I'm running.

I stare at my stylist. He stares at me. He softly embraces me in a hug, telling me that I'm fine, that everything's going to be ok.

I look at his sleek black curly, the way his side fringe sweeps over his eyes.

"Thank you," I whisper.

"Thank you for everything."

He nods in appreciation, and I step into a tube that will levitate me into the arena, maybe even my death.

As I stand on my small, silver platform, I take in my surroundings. Sixty seconds is not a lot of observing time. The Cornucopia sits right in front of me; golden and gleaming in the sunlight.

Sunlight! I am so glad about this. But hopefully it's not everlasting, stealth isn't as good in the daylight as it is in the night.  I suddenly realise that I'm near a forest. Forests are good. There's a lake to my left, and a field in front of where I stand. I'm not going for the lake, too risky. That's the Careers supply system now. Fields would be great for protection, but I don't know what could be inside it. Forest it is.

30 seconds.

Quickly, I scan the objects near the Cornucopia. I see a tent pack in the mouth, which I'm definately not going for. Food and water are my top priority. I plan to skim around the edges of the Cornucopia, trying to pick up a bag or two. Then I see it. Around the edge of where us tributes are standing, facing the forest, sits a small forest - green backapack. Immediately I know that that's what I'm going for.

Katniss Everdeen stands beside me, looking at Peeta for some reason. She seems confused. She's loosing track of time, the gong rings in seven seconds!

Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One....

The gong rings out, I leap off my platform, grateful that my legs aren't blown off, and sprint towards the backpack.

I hear a whizzing sound just behind my right ear, I take a risky glance back, and see Glimmer holding a silver bow and arrows, aiming at me. I run faster, blood pumping in my ears, snag the backpack, and run deep into the forest. So many deaths, I could see out of the corner of my eye Cato and Clove trying to spill as much blood as they could. They were laughing, it was all a game to them. As I regain my focus to straight ahead, I see a blur of black running towards me, I collide with the force, and it sends me rocketing off my feet. A dull pain throbs in my shoulder blade.

Looking up, I see that Katniss Everdeen has also fallen over in the impact. I stand. No, no, no, I canno't be killed on the first day. She looks at me as she leaps up to her feet, her grey/blue eyes shaking with worry. The last thing I see before turning and running is Katniss running in the opposite drection as me.

I've run quite a fair distance, and have reached a spot in the woods where the tree's are clumped tightly together. Pine cones litter the ground, making my steps muffled. I spot a small hollow inthe earth below the stump of an oak tree, which will conceal me greatly. I hop into the hollow, and it is big enough for me to sleep in. I will be safe from torches, because thankfully this hole is quite deep. Hopefully no-one will step on me. The Cornucopia is still a fair distance away, although I was forced to run towards it once again after my collision with Katniss. I remember taking a risky glance, seeing many dead tributes laying mutilated on the ground. I turn my thoughts around. I can't help them now. They're dead, and there is nothing that I can do. But I can help myself.

I unzip the dark green bag, and spill out it's contents on the forest floor. There's not a lot inside, but it will have to do for now, as it is getting dark. Soon, the faces of the dead will show in the sky. I'm sure Eric's is among them.

A small throwing knife is the first thing I see. The blade is smooth, but could cut you in an instant. The tip is sharp and pointed. I have a small box of raisins, and after checking that they're not poisonous, I pop one into my mouth.

I also have a small drinkbottle, which is of course bone dry, and a box of matches. One of the things I'm most grateful for is the blanket. It's silver, and looks like crumpled up paper when you wear it. But I think it radiates body heat, and it will come in handy.

As I'm packing up my supplies, I hear heavy footsteps and delighted yells coming from my left, quickly coming towards me. I peek out from my little hidey-hole, but only so my eyes can see who this un-expected intruder is.

It's the Careers.