The man strode past Eban to the end of the corridor. By the time he reached it, every man and woman house in the cells around him was standing at their bars, watching and waiting for the announcement they had all guessed was coming.

"Ladies and gentlemen, good morning. I am Corporal Kerr." He paused to glance at each of the prisoners. His eyes stopped on Eban; they were cool, with a smugness that meant Kerr knew why Eban was in the cell and what awaited him in the near future, but any sense of the malevolence was gone. "As you may have guessed, I am recruiting for King Adair's army, may glory find him, and have been granted permission by his Grace to offer you all a contract, should you wish to accept it."

Kerr glanced around again, this time focusing on the gaol itself. "I can't say the work will be safe, nor can I promise excellent pay. But there will be pay, there will be food, and, if you serve faithfully the terms of your contract, you will be absolved of all the sins that brought you here." He shrugged smoothly. "I will return in an hour. Any who choose to come with me will be free to leave by nightfall."

Kerr stopped at Eban's cell on his way back out. His gaze travelled down and back up Eban. Whatever he saw clearly did not leave him impressed. "You the Healer?"

Eban nodded. This close to the man, Eban could feel the malevolence again. It was strange. He could usually read a person easily, but this man... The malevolence almost seemed to be an aura around him, rather than a characteristic of the man himself. But how?

Kerr studied him. "How old are you?"

Eban shrugged. "Old enough."

"I heard what happened. I can't work out whether you're brave or stupid for doing that healing."

"It was worth the risk."

Kerr frowned. "Worth the risk? What could the girl have possibly had that made using magic on the Duke's own granddaughter worth the risk?"

"The Fade." Eban spoke the words evenly, but neither he nor Kerr could have missed the sudden stillness in the room from that statement. Even Kerr had grown paler. "If you speak with the Duke, tell him to reconsider his ban on mages. If the Fade has reached his granddaughter, I'm sure there will be others soon enough. Those in this gaol are free of it," Eban paused at the sudden relief of tension in the room, "but I can't speak for the rest of the city."

Kerr stepped back, reappraising Eban as he did. "How strong is your healing?"

Eban smiled. "Strong enough. Stronger with food."

Kerr laughed. "Fair enough. You should know, your friends were the ones who sent me down here."

"You've seen Arran and Cedric? They're alright?"

Kerr frowned. When he saw the fear flick across Eban's face, he hastily added, "Yes, they're fine. They were let go with a warning. Apparently, their age, and the fact that they have no magic, generated enough sympathy from the Duke to have them released. You weren't so lucky."

Eban grinned. They're safe!

"You should consider my offer carefully, lad. Life in the army is not easy, but Healers always have a place with us. We need someone like you. Besides, I may be your only chance."

Eban started. Kerr's last word vibrated through the room and echoed in his mind. CHANCE, chance, chance... He shook his head, trying to push it out. What in Ferann is that?

Clever lad. You're finally asking the right questions.

The whisper slipped into his mind, stirring a memory of a long-ago day and a half-forgotten shadow.