Chapter 23: His Concerns

ابدأ من البداية

     Merielle put down her purple headphones and let them hang on her neck, just like what Levi does. She, then, pulled back and adjusted her hair in its high ponytail. I just stared at every little move she does in awe. How could small movements of a mere human make me feel weird? Then, Merielle turned to me, still wearing that smile that I can stare at for all of eternity.

     "I am bored inside my room," she started explaining. "It feels weird being in the dining hall just to listen to music, the staircases make me feel weird as well. Gives me the shivers like someone is looking at me. You know... the paintings. Although I really enjoy looking at all of them on my way here. I really love yours and your brothers' portraits! The stairway to the attic is too gloomy and dark. Also, attics scares me. I just did what I had to do back in the human world to get the chest," she is scared of attics now? She just saved Belphie from one last year! Well, I guess anything can change when you start over because of amnesia. "Beel is in the kitchen, snacking," she continued. "Belphie is in the planetarium, taking a nap, Levi is in the music room. He is listening to this band he told me about. Sucre Frenzy, wasn't it? I don't feel like listening to it for now. Satan is in the library and I don't want to disturb him with my presence. Asmo and Mammon, on the other hand, are in the living room. I overheard them arguing about something that Mammon stole from Asmo. Personally, I thought of a way to solve that," she ended with a mischievous smile.

     I narrowed my eyes at her with a grin. "And what might that  be?" I asked her. The answer might be the answer to my endless financial problems with my scumbag brother.

    "Mammon has no choice but to follow direct orders from me since he is in a pact with me, right?" she asked.

     "Right," I confirmed.

     "Then, just have me order him to give the stolen item back," she said, full of confidence.

     I have to admit that Merielle really is a smart human. It is a part of her that is good and annoying, for me that is, at the same time. Her smartness can get her in and out of trouble. But she just gave a bright idea.

     "But I don't really know if I would actually do that," she said, her mischievous smile disappeared.

     "Why is that?" I asked.

     She smiled kindly at me, "Because I don't want to order people... or demons... around. It is very rude. Also, it doesn't feel right. I don't want to use that ability that I have because of the pact unless it is really serious and needed."

     "Any examples for that?" I asked again. This time, out of curiosity.

     Merielle pointed a finger on her chin and gave it a thought. How cute. "Well," she said. "protecting each other from something dangerous would be an example."

     That gave me quite a shock. It reminded me of the danger she is in. I forgot all about it for a moment because of talking to her. Time really flies when you are with someone you treasure more than anything... even your own life.

     "Lucifer? Lucifeeeerr!" Merielle called out. I was spacing out that I did not even notice that she is already close and in front of me.

     I blushed and turned away from her. Her face is really close. I... have to hold back. "What?" I asked.

     "Why are you spacing out?" she asked innocently.

     Does she not know what she is currently making me feel? What she is making me want to do with her? 

     "Come," I told her.

     "Where are we going?" she asked.

     "Just follow me. We will go to a room here in the House of Lamentation were unlike the other rooms, it is peacefully quiet. Only both of us are allowed there. My orders, of course," I said with a smile.

     "Now that is a present," she said and happily followed me.

     On the way, with Merielle following behind me, a thought came racing through my head: Protecting her and making her happy is really one of my top priorities. Not just because I have to, but because I WANT to.