Family- Stef and Lena

Stef's POV

After dating two years and then 5 years of marriage, our family is finally growing. Today we are finishing the first step in the process of fostering to adopt. We are getting our foster license and will hopefully have a child placed with us soon. But not just any or one kid. Three kids. Three siblings that came into the police station just over a month ago. Mariana, Jesus, and Callie.

"I can't believe we're finally getting our Foster license. I really hope we're not too late and the kids are able to be placed with us." Lena says while we drive to the center where we've been taking our classes. Since we started this process because of Mariana, Jesus, and Callie, we've been just referring to them as the kids like they're ours already. From the moment I met them, I knew they were meant to be apart of our family.

"I know. I've been trying to find out where they are and I've tried getting in contact with their social worker but she won't tell me anything until we have our license."

"Well in 20 minutes we will and hopefully not too much longer the kids will be with us. God I still remember that day at the station." Lena says.

•Flashback•
1 month ago

"Who are they?" I ask Captain Roberts. I went into her office to talk about a case and as I was leaving I notice three kids sitting on the bench in front of the front desk.

"Orphans. Their mom left again and we're waiting on their social worker to pick them up. Why?" She asks.

"No reason. Just wondering."

"Okay. Well you're off the rest of the day. Have a nice dinner with your wife Foster."

"Thank you." I say walking out.

I walk over to my desk and grab three lollipops out of my top drawer and make my way over to the three kids.

"Hi guys. I'm Stef. What are your names?" I ask kneeling down in front of them.

"I'm Callie and this is Jesus and Mariana." The oldest says. She has long brown hair and dark brown eyes. She's wearing dark blue ripped jeans and a black tank top with a black and navy flannel over it.

"Callie, Mariana, and Jesus. Those are pretty names. Are you three siblings?" I ask.

"Yes mam. Are you the social worker?" She asks because I'm in my normal clothes instead of my uniform.

"No sweetheart. I'm just a cop. And I know that police stations are no fun. So I brought you these. Only if you want them." I say holding up the three lollipops. Callie takes one and so does Jesus but the smallest, Mariana, is reluctant. Jesus takes the other and hands it to her and she takes it with a small smile.

"She's shy. Thank you." Callie says and I smile.

"You're welcome. You know what? Wait right here." I say standing up and walking back to Captain Roberts Office.

"Foster. I thought Lena was picking you up."

"She is. I stopped to talk with the three kids out there and would you mind if I took them outside and let them get some fresh air. I know how stuffy police stations can get and how boring they are for kids." I ask.

"Sure. I doubt CPS is going to be here anytime soon." She says and I nod before going to walk back to the kids but stopping myself.

"If it's okay. They can stay with Lena and I. I have to double check with her but I'm sure it'll be fine." I ask.