Chapter 01: It's A War

Start from the beginning

As for Imayoshi-senpai, I had to talk to him. I needed to make him understand that I couldn't exactly do what he wanted; the break-up-with-Sakurai-and-choose-me-instead thing.

"The minute you take a step out of that door, I'll make you fall in love with me."

Impossible.

I would never fall in love with him. Not with my senpai. Not with my brother. Not ever.

***

I gasped aloud, freezing up like a deer caught in headlights upon seeing Imayoshi-senpai outside of their gate the next morning. He was just standing there with a passive look on his face, as if waiting for me to come out.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the house just across ours belonged to his family? Yeah, we were practically neighbors. That's exactly the reason why we got close, and not to mention that my Mom and his were the best of friends.

The fact that we were neighbors only narrowed the possibility of me getting away from him so easily.

Thank you, fate. You're so helpful.

Sarcasm. Sarcasm. Screw fate.

I composed myself, turning my back and closing the gates behind me. But when I turned around again, he was already in front of me. I stumbled backwards, hitting the metal gates which created a noise that almost made my heart leap out of my chest due to nervousness.

"Good morning, Aya," he said, his eyes were in a thin line like usual. But there was a gentle smile on his lips, as if telling me that there was nothing to worry about.

I composed myself then took a step sidewards, away from him. "U-Uh, yeah. Good morning."

"I was waiting for you. Let's go," he said, giving me another one of his smiles again as he gestured for me to follow him.

Well, to be honest, this was normal---him, waiting for me outside their gate; him, greeting me so early in the morning; and us, walking together to school. Completely normal. It was always like this everyday. But what hadn't been normal this morning was that what he did yesterday was already tattooed inside my head and I couldn't bring myself to act cool in front of him. I couldn't forget all the things he said and did with just a single night of sleep.

Whether I liked it or not, everything had changed. Our once smooth friendship was already crumpled up.

"I'm sorry. I promised Ryo that we'll walk to school together today," I said softly.

He showed me a frown and the gentle smile that curled up his lips faded instantly. "Aya."

"Imayoshi-senpai, you should know that you are important to me too. But you have to forget about your feelings, or else..." I trailed off deliberately. Somehow, I couldn't finish what I was going to say.

At that point, his eyes opened. It was the same look he had yesterday. I gulped. "Or else, what?"

"O-Or else.. I won't talk to you ever again." My voice was nearly inaudible, but I knew he heard it because he showed a surprised expression. "And I'm serious. I love Ryo, so I can't let you do the things that will probably hurt him and destroy our relationship. If you're going to insist on what you want, then I have no choice but to disregard our friendship."

He stayed silent for a while and just stood there, studying my face. "So you're choosing Sakurai over me?"

"Yes."

To my utter surprise, he smirked. "Did you tell him?"

I furrowed my brows. "No. I believe there's no need for that."

"There is, Aya." The way he uttered my name sent incredible chills down my spine. "I made a declaration of war yesterday when I confessed to you. He should know that he is inside a battlefield now."

I pondered at what he said. Why did he sound so confident? It seemed like he knew every single thing that he was doing. It seemed like he knew that he was going to win in the end. When the truth was, the decision was not his. It was mine. And my decision was final:

We were only friends. And it was going to stay that way forever.

"That is ridiculous," I retorted in a deep tone. "You're alone in that battlefield. There's no war, Imayoshi-senpai. My heart belongs to Ryo, so there's no reason for you to fight in the first place."

He leaned forwards, cornering me in between his arms with my back being pressed against our gate. "I've been with you ever since we were little. I watched you grow up. I've loved you ever since we were just kids, and I still love you now. Nothing has changed. You think that's not enough reason to fight?"

I couldn't speak. What he said left me in a daze. He was looking at me with a serious expression, his eyes under his glasses were filled with utmost sincerity and desperation. Because of the stare he was giving me, my heart started to skip a beat. It was beating fast and loud that I was even afraid he might actually hear it.

"How could I ever watch you choose another man, Aya?" he continued, voice low and cold, "How could I ever watch the only girl I love hold another man's hand? I can't. So I'm going to fight." His other hand traveled its way down to my chest and stayed there. "Your heart is beating fast and loud, it's reacting to me. See? Your heart is here. Sakurai doesn't have it."

His hand on my chest made me flinch. And with each word that came out of his mouth, I could feel my damn heartbeat getting faster and faster. Louder and louder. I couldn't understand. I was used to him being this close to me because we'd hugged a million times before. But somehow, this time, it was completely different.

"You don't have to do anything, Aya. Just fall for me, and I'll catch you," he added in a husky tone, a small smile lingered on his lips. It seemed like he was enjoying my reaction, he was enjoying every loud beating of my heart.

No.

This is wrong.

As if a bottle of cold water was poured over me, my senses snapped open. My hands immediately came to push his chest away for I knew that if we stayed this way any longer, I would have a heart attack. So I needed to get away. I had to. But my action was futile because he easily caught both of my wrists and held them tightly against his chest.

"Let me go," I protested.

"No. Even if you push me away, I'll still keep on coming back to you."

"You're crazy, onii-chan. You're just hurting yourself."

"Because I love you, I can't let you go."

"You're--"

"Aya-chan? Imayoshi-san?"

I gasped when I heard that voice who came to interrupt us. We both turned to my boyfriend who was standing a few steps away from us. However, Imayoshi-senpai didn't let me go, he didn't even look surprised at all.

While Sakurai Ryo looked so confused as he stared at us with a frown. "W-What are you doing?"

"Ryo."

----------

I hope you like the first chapter.
ADVANCE HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Vote.Comment.Share.