Chapter 05: There's No Escape

I groaned upon seeing my own reflection in the mirror. Seriously, I didn't know I had such an ugly morning face.

Oh well, reality check.

Not every girl that slept late wakes up early in the morning looking like a beauty queen.

Especially if that girl happened to be so stressed out over her persistent senpai who wouldn't give up on her despite knowing the fact that she already had a boyfriend. Really, that girl would surely wake up looking like a petrified fossil because of stress and sleep-deprivation.

"Fuck my life," I murmured as I gave my fuzzy hair a quick smooth before finally deciding to get ready for school.

Only when I came down for breakfast did I realize that it was almost time for Imayoshi-senpai to leave for school and that I had to hurry if I didn't want to end up seeing him outside their gate again.

It was his daily habit to come to school twenty minutes early before the start of class.

Granted, he never really told me about that out loud, but I knew him enough to know that. I've known him for years---all my life, actually. He was my bestfriend. And even though we're in an awkward situation now, with these images of what used to be and this unbridgeable distance between us in my head, I would still find myself wishing our friendship back.

I bit my lower lip, feeling the heaviness settle in my gut. And for a moment there, I wanted to just go straight up into his house and tell him to leave me alone. But then how could I, when he was the one who always made sure I would never stumble?

After all the things I said to him last night, I wasn't honestly ready to lose him. I realized it when he turned his back on me. So I stopped him... Because I knew that if he'd take one step away from me, he'd never come back.

I knew it was for the best, but it was just too painful.

At least, for now.

Because I knew I'd eventually get used to this---get used to him not being by my side. So while I was working on that, I had no choice but to avoid him for as long as possible. Maybe that way, I would be able to convince him to give up.

Taking a solemn breath, I gathered myself then opened the door, but I couldn't make myself to move quite yet. I let my eyes sweep over the two-storey house across, looking for a certain raven-haired guy with glasses, and sighing in relief upon making sure that he was nowhere.

I knew I could do this.

I had to do this.

***

I was already depositing my rubber shoes in my locker when I heard my name.

At first, an irrational side of me thought it was Imayoshi-senpai, but I immediately chastised myself for even thinking about him in the first place---and after I just found my resolve to avoid him from now on. I looked up, searching for the voice, just as Arima Sakura-senpai emerged from the crowd of students milling around their own lockers.

I paused for a second, wondering if it was really my name she called. I mean, we weren't even close.

"Hi, Ayame-chan," she greeted, giving me a friendly smile that showcased her perfect teeth. She was really pretty and nice, and I knew every living thing in Touo was aware of that. "I heard you were sick. Are you okay now?"

Instinctively, I returned her smile.

"Yeah, I am now. Thanks for asking," I replied, as politely as I could.

I knew she wasn't exactly my friend, but she was really being nice to me so I found myself relaxing in her presence. Her pink lips were still pulled into a kind smile and her blue eyes regarded me with a coolness that made it seem as though we'd known each other for years. Plus, she just called me by my given name.