Chapter 01: It's A War

Depuis le début

"Really? If that's the case then I'm relieved. But we need to do something about your grades, Aya-chan."

I laughed nervously, fidgetting on my spot. I felt terrible for lying to him. "Y-Yeah. Can you help me?"

"But isn't Imayoshi-san your tutor? Will he be okay if I suddenly take his job?"

It wasn't really his job per se, Imayoshi-senpai just kind of volunteered to help me with my studies.

"He'll understand. And I still prefer my boyfriend over him, Ryo. Can you?"

He didn't reply for a few seconds and I bet he was blushing. That's how he was. He would blush with the tiniest sweet talk and with the slightest touch. "Okay, Aya-chan. I'd love to spend more time with you as well."

I smiled softly. "I love you, Ryo."

"I love you too, Aya-chan. And good night, you should take a rest now. We'll walk to school together tomorrow morning."

"I'll wait for you tomorrow."

"Okay." Then there was a moment of silence. I was waiting for him to hang up but he never did. "You hang up, Aya-chan. I'm the guy, I should never leave you hanging."

With that, I thought I just melted into crap. It even took me minutes to calm my wildly beating heart. Sakurai Ryo may not be an aggressive boyfriend but he was a real gentleman. "You're too sweet, Ryo."

"I respect you, Aya-chan. That's why."

A gentle smile crept into my face. "Thank you. So I'll hang up now, okay? Have a peaceful sleep, Ryo."

"You, too."

I pressed the END CALL button then laid down on my bed again. I closed my eyes, trying to weigh things in my mind.

Ryo was a kind boyfriend. He may not be perfect, but he was just right for me. I was blessed to have him in my life.

However.

Imayoshi-senpai was important to me, too. He had been with me even before I met Ryo. We were almost inseparable. Wherever he'd go, I would simply follow. The reason why? I trusted him so much. Whenever he was with me, I felt safe and secure.

No.

He would simply make sure that I was safe and secure. Always.

Yeah, always. There was never a time that he appeared dangerous to me like how Hanamiya-senpai would often describe him. To me, Imayoshi-senpai was just Imayoshi-senpai. My supporter, comforter, and friend.

Well, actually, he was more than that.

I saw him as more than just a friend. He was like a family, like a big brother, that's why I'd grown very comfortable in his company. I was open enough to tell him every single thing that would happen in my life. I couldn't afford losing someone like him.

Now that it had come to this, however, I knew I had to choose. Only one. Choosing one would mean hurting the other, but that was better than keeping them both and then continuously inflecting pain to the both of them. I couldn't do that. I wasn't selfish enough.

Imayoshi-senpai or Ryo?

I clutched my chest, biting my lower lip hard. I didn't know this kind of decision-making was difficult as shit. This was harder than choosing between a bag of chips and a bag of choco balls on a friday movie marathon night. Both were my favorite yet I knew I could only have one or else I'd sink into a pool of calories.

Ugh. Whatever.

In this case, I had to choose Sakurai Ryo. It only seemed right. He was my boyfriend, and I loved him.