Chapter 20: Office

Start from the beginning

The kid had cut his hair and started to join the morning and evening meals. He'd been amicable to Young Master Aurelion and even openly interacted with Lady Guinivere.

He called Madam Vespera 'mother'.

But the servants' suspicions were futile.

The kid's behavior didn't drastically change overnight to the point they would suspect a body double.

He was still as awkward and expressionless as the rest of his family. He didn't say much when it came to conversations unrelated to his interests, and the way he stared into the souls of people like that Titus bastard was as immaculate as ever.

His usual coach drivers have also confirmed he still visited the local apothecary once a week to see the owners and restock for his projects.

So no, the Young Master was clearly still the same Young Master the servants fearfully (but loyally) served.

He was just more reasonable, now.

For example, there was that one time when a newly hired maidservant almost bumped into him in the hallway and the Young Master merely stepped aside as she fell.

The maidservant was once a mercenary; she caught herself and did a flip in midair to recover from her fall.

The Young Master barely said a word to her besides a small greeting, no threat of bodily harm to be heard, before he continued on his way, leaving her in the hallway to watch him with a wary gaze.

Oh! There was also that one time when the Young Master visited the kitchen again!

He was boiling something in a cauldron.

The sous chef saw a tail sticking out, but he didn't comment on it.

The boy hadn't disturbed anyone. He was working by himself off to the side, doing whatever it was Odum kids did these days in the kitchen. Someone accidentally spilled some water and it landed on his shoes. Everyone went silent, waiting for the moment when the Young Master would set the kitchen on fire.

Somehow, it never happened. The boy ignored his wet shoes and continued working, only looking up from his cauldron when he realized the room had gone quiet.

It was surprising to see him tolerating mistakes.

Many servants were relieved.

Perhaps the kid was finally becoming an adult.

Of course, there were a few who still retained some wariness, but they were people with civilian backgrounds.

Others, those who'd lived less than savory lives, rejoiced.

Having been a street rat, Young Master Nazareth used to be a tiny thing—fitting into small corners and shadows and places he really shouldn't be in. He was more trouble than Young Master Aurelion and Lady Guinivere combined.

Compared to his siblings, he was also more expressive with his anger, more emotional, and outright aggressive. It was nothing like the coolness of Lady Guinivere or the chilly anger of Young Master Aurelion.

Nevertheless, no one had the heart to blame him for his obvious flaws.

The child would lash out and bite and punch and kick like a wild animal for the first year of his stay in the manor.

Those who have been working for the Odum Family for over a decade still remember the gremlin child, so small and furious and a whirlwind of emotions, habitually hunting down traitors and spies in the middle of the night with the skills he learned in the streets of the Red Light District.