Confused Mind

Samantha Anderson

My world had changed in an instant. One moment, I was a poor college student who only had a boyfriend to lean on and now I was powerful, still kinda poor, business woman in one of the most amazing companies in the world. 

Life was good and I was happy. I mean, I had a great boss who loved me. I had a great boyfriend who loved me. And I had a great best friend who loved me. 

There was one dark spot in my life. And that was Harry Styles. 

The damned Harry Styles. For a second, just a second, I thought he was my friend. My damn friend. For one night. Even at dinner, he was positive, not a horrible person.

But he'd been weird since then. Quiet. Only speaking to throw an insult my way. 

It wasn't like it surprised me. It just hurt me. 

What was his reason for hating me so much? Was I inferior? Was I too loud? Too annoying? 

I needed answers when it came to Harry Styles. He was confusing and overly egotistical. He was rude and crude. And far too much of an asshole for my taste.

But I wanted to know him. It was the strangest thing. I wanted, with every fiber of my being, to know him. To know his favorite things. To know what really rubbed him the wrong way, besides me, of course. Harry was mysterious and new with a shell about as strong as titanium. But I wanted to crack the shell. For a million and one reasons I needed to crack this shell. This tough shell. His tough shell. 

Maybe it was because he was a challenge. Maybe it was because I was a curious person. It didn't matter why. I just needed to know. To know him. At my heart I knew that I craved his acceptance. He was my boss and I wanted more than anything for him to like me and feel like I belonged at the company he helped run. 

He interested me. Confused me, yes.  But also interested me. 

"Baby, what are you thinking about?" Luke asked as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I was standing in front of my mirror, trying to decide what to wear for work. A blouse and trousers? Or a dress? 

"Work," I automatically answered, it would be strange to confess my feelings for Harry to my boyfriend. My feelings for Harry weren't romantic, just curiosity and an overwhelming feelings for acceptance. 

"You need to not constantly think about work, it'll stress you out," he said, kissing my temple. "Take a breath and clear your mind." 

"It doesn't stress me out," I said, getting a bit defensive. I loved my job, regardless of how much time it took up in my life. 

"You sure? You've been weird lately, quieter than normal. Is it that Styles guy? Has he been even more of an ass?" Luke asked, looking wary of my answer. 

"No, he's fine," I promised, breathing out deeply. I didn't need to get my overly protective boyfriend involved in my problems. 

"Alright, Samantha, just, if, if it comes down to it, you know you can talk to me. I'm here to support you," Luke said, giving me one last squeeze. "I love you and I'll see you tonight." 

"Yeah, okay, bye," I said, sighing. "Love you too." 

I closed my eyes and breathed deeply once again, when he was gone. I loved Luke, I really did. But it was difficult dealing with him and work. They couldn't mix. I didn't realize ever how hard it would actually be until now. Now that I'm living it. 

I looked back in the mirror.

What to wear? 

~

I ran into work, breathing heavily with two Starbucks in one hand and a bag full of croissants in the other. 

"Hello," I practically screamed at the receptionist as I sprinted in. I was breathing heavily and my feet ached. Damn New York and its long blocks and my high heels. 

"Samantha, stop," she laughed, I wasn't quite sure what her name was quite yet. 

"Oh, what?" I said, stopping at the desk. "What's up?"

"Louis still hasn't come in, you can calm down, dear," she said, a smile appearing on her face. "However, Mr. Styles is in the board room and he's asking for you."

My heart stopped and a million questions rushed through my head as I processed her words.

Why was Harry here? Why did he want to see me? And why the hell did I wear trousers today? 

Scratch the last question, why should I care what Harry thinks of my clothes? 

"Oh, really?" I said, my eyes a bit widened and my face flushed. 

"Um, yes, he seems to be in a hurry, so I'd get in there pretty quickly," she chuckled, clearly aware of Harry and his usual tactics. Everyone in the office seemed aware. He was the wildly rude British man who was constantly parading around the office. Also, he was wildly attractive which added in the constant stares from women. 

Harry was very good at drawing attention. 

"Thanks for letting me know," I said before jogging down to my office. I dropped off the coffee and my bags and began my sprint to the board room. Once I got to the door, I stopped and collected myself. Harry wasn't someone you could look weak in front of. 

I took deep breaths, collecting myself. I looked into the mirror that stood at the end of the hall. My hair was up and I looked surprisingly put together, even after multiple situations where my make-up could run or I'd mess up my top. Maybe God was on my side today. 

I closed my eyes, took one last breath, and finally, entered the room. 

There, on the opposite side of the room, sat Harry Styles, his back to me, facing outside where a giant window stood. 

He looked like the king of New York. And I couldn't help but admire him. His strong shoulders and his curly brown hair that looked absolutely perfect slightly slicked back. He moved his hands so the went to the back of his head.

I cleared my throat making my presence known. He turned around, his face turning into a smirk once he saw me. 

"Hello Ms. Andrews." 

Asshole Harry was her and more annoying than ever.

But what did he want?

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Bad chapter, but hey! Thought I'd get one out! Hope you enjoyed lovelies! Let me know what you thought! XX.