Irrational Behaviors

Harry Styles

I hated what caused me to reach for her. That little part of me that couldn't resist the beautiful woman that stood before me. I wasn't supposed to be this guy. The guy that would give up everything for one girl. I wasn't this I guy. I can't be this guy. But, as she stood in front of me, all compromising thoughts were forgotten.

She was so beautiful. 

But that wasn't what made me want her. It was her hilarity. Her intelligence that wasn't acknowledged nearly as much as it deserved. Even her overall kindness. She was what a man needed and wanted. And I didn't appreciate that nearly enough.

Because I couldn't. She was with that asshat. But that's what she needed and what she should have. I wasn't a good person. I wasn't someone who was emotional enough to have a relationship. I wasn't some romantic, I was a dick. Someone who shouldn't get married or even date for the matter.

And that is why I couldn't let her believe we could happen. Because it would only hurt her.

I gently let her go. Her face looked up at me in confusion. Liam entered into the room just as we released. 

She spoke, "I'll grab you that tea right now, uh, Mr. Styles."

I nodded my head and glared at Liam as he drank water. "We have a lot to discuss."

~

By the time everything was sorted out, it was 6 am, the time in which actual work started. I sighed as Liam left the office, stepping into the elevator. Alexandra and Samantha stood together in an office, talking over coffee. 

I joined them, looking at both of them. "Ms. Turner, you can go home, don't worry about work today."

She smiled and thanked me before grabbing her bag, "Call me Sammy, we should grab lunch soon!"

Samantha nodded her head yawning, "Sounds good!"

Alexandra left Sam and I together as we stared at one another.

"Everything figured out?" she asked, pulling her boots back onto her feet. Her jacket was thrown across the table so she was left in a deep cut tank top and leggings. 

"Hopefully, the stocks will tell if we got it all fixed," I told her, grabbing her jacket and pulling it up for her so she could slip into it. Just because I couldn't be with her, didn't mean I had to be an ass and not a gentlemen.

She nodded her head and put the jacket on. She grabbed her hair so she could pull it over the jacket. Her hair was up in a curly bun and it made me slightly smile. I loved when her hair was up. She looked beautiful regardless, but to see her face and her neck just added one more thing I lusted about her. 

"So tell me," I said to her. "How'd you get into my house earlier?"

"Oh, the doorman and I are good friends. He also recognized me so he just let me upstairs. Please don't fire him!" she laughed, shaking her head.

"Never," I chuckled. Although, I was slightly pissed her just let her in. Had it been anyone else, I would have fired him. But since it was Samantha, there really wasn't much anger within me. 

"Are you staying for work today?" she asked me, grabbing her purse and putting it over her shoulder. She crossed her arms, smiling at me. 

"Probably, are you going into work today?" I asked her, pushing the sleeves of my sweater up on my arms, revealing the tattoos that cluttered my body. They had always been a cause of unprofessionalism, so I didn't typically show them at work. But Samantha had seen them all. 

She shrugged, "Yeah, I'm going to have to. I need to have my line done by tomorrow."

"Why didn't you tell me? You shouldn't have been here tonight," I rasped, irritated. She needed her line to be great and staying up until the wee hours of the morning was not the way to do it. 

"Because you needed help," she sighed, looking up at me. "You're my boss, I don't need to be pissing you off." 

"You wouldn't have, Samantha. You weren't even supposed to be here tonight. Besides, Alexandra could have done it on her own, God Sam," I said, shaking my head. 

"Are you honestly pissed at me because I decided to come and help you? Are you kidding?" she snapped, raising her eyebrows, and picking up on my tone. 

Of course I was pissed. I wanted her to succeed in the new job position, but if she wasn't going to be able to apply herself fully and correctly, she wouldn't be able to do well. 

"I want you to do well, Samantha, and you can't do that if you're up all night!" I told her, my voice full of anger. I shook my head at her, pissed with her decision. She should have fucking told me. 

"Harry, this is all coming out of nowhere. How the hell does my success help you?" she groaned, rubbing her eyes. She looked tired and confused. She didn't understand. She wouldn't understand. 

"Because I got you the damn job," I muttered, immediately regretting my words. Her eyes widened and she looked down, her mouth wide. 

"Oh my God," she said, biting her lip. "You...you t-told Louis to hire me?"

I avoided her gaze and sighed. She was going to be angry. More so than she already was.

"I thought, I was good enough. I thought I had actually earned this fucking job. Jesus, I didn't, did I? All along, it's been you pulling the damn strings behind my job," she said, her voice choked up. "I hate you." 

I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose. My lips pursed and a groan escaped my lips. "Why are you so angry about this? I was helping you, Samantha."

"Because I wanted to earn this," she yelled, her voice cracking. I'd never seen her like this, especially over something so miniscule. I was unsure if this fight was truly about me getting her a job promotion. Or if it was so much more. "I don't need favors from you, Harry!"

"It's not a favor, you earned it! Louis just needed a little push!" I exclaimed, irritated with her lack of acceptance of the situation. In the world we worked in, you needed people to help get you to the top. How the hell do you think I got my business? My grandfather was a huge benefactor for me. She simply couldn't do this on her own. "I did this for you! Don't you fucking get that? I'm trying to help, but since you're so ungrateful don't expect much more." 

"I don't need you doing shit for me, Harry," she glared at me, her voice loud and wavering.  "We're not dating!" 

With those words, both of us went silent, just staring at one another. We were both hopeless in what to say or do next. Confusion filled both of our faces. Unspoken words were exchanged between us as we glanced at one another. 

Dating. It wasn't like it was something we'd ever tried together, as we'd given up on it without even experiencing it. 

"I..." I said, trailing off, unable to even explain how I was feeling. 

"I'm going to go. I'll, uh, see you around, I guess?" she said, her voice soft and raspy from the yelling. 

It was amazing how we went from 100 to 0 in just moments. The mentioning of our relationship was enough to bring us both to a quiet stutter. We weren't able to discuss anything like adults. We either turned into hormonal teenagers or angry, immature adults. 

"Bye." 

She gave me one last look before leaving the office.

We'd never had a fight like that. Both of us screaming in each other's faces. I'd never been so frustrated with someone in my entire life. I had tried to help, something I never, ever did. I wasn't known for my kindness around New York.

But the one time I try helping, I get yelled at. 

Last time that happens. I wanted to hate her. I wanted to fucking despise her. But I just couldn't. Her anger worried me, like I wouldn't see her again in some time. 

This is why we weren't together. This is why she had to be with Luke.