Chapter 15

15. FIRST KISS, TRUTH AT LAST

As though giving me a chance to stop him, Bran leaned closer and closer. We shared a breath so sweet and intoxicating my eyelids dropped and a soft sigh escaped me. Then he was there, his lips touching mine. Soft brushes. A spark of electricity shot from my lips and raced underneath my skin.

He pulled me closer and anchored me to him. Incredible sensations blazed through me like wildfire. I didn’t know what to do. Kiss him back? My mind went blank, and a ringing started in my ears.

Then his lips were gone, and I was left panting. He stroked my face and pressed his forehead to mine. I don’t how long it took before I felt near normal enough to open my eyes. Bran watched me, his chest expanding and contracting. His grip tightened on my waist while he massaged my scalp in slow soothing motions with his other hand.

“Are you okay?” he asked, his voice above a whisper.

“I think so. You?” My voice was shaky, but for once I didn’t care.

“I’m good.”

This was my first kiss, and now I knew why kids made out in cars or wherever they could. I wanted Bran to kiss me again. A lot. “Is it always like that?”

A dimple appeared and disappeared from his cheeks, his eyes twinkling. “Like what?”

“Exciting and beautiful.”

He touched my cheek, again. “No. It’s different with you.” His watch beeped. “Nine-twenty-five, we’d better go. I’ll collect the picnic stuff later.”

I didn’t want to leave, didn’t want the night to end. But his wings had already retracted, and when he reached for his shirt, the moonlight showed smooth skin, no scar or hint that wings had graced his back. But one lone feather floated to the ground right beside me.

I scooped it up and twirled it between my fingers. A faint pine scent teased my senses, and I smiled. “Look.”

Bran turned and saw the silver plume. I couldn’t read his expression as he stared hard at it. I offered him the feather. He shook his head. “No. I don’t want it. Keep it if you’d like.”

I put the feather in my back pocket. Not that I needed a reminder of tonight. Every tiny detail of my date with Bran was etched in my brain.

When Bran opened his arms, I slipped in them and hugged him close. My earlier insecurity was gone. I liked Bran, more than liked him, and I refused to pretend otherwise.

“Will I see you tomorrow?”

His arm tightened around me. “I’ll stop by your place in the evening if your grandfather doesn’t mind.”

This time around, I didn’t close my eyes when we teleported. One minute we were under the moonlight, mountains behind us and the valley before us. The images peeled away to be replaced by neon lights, walls, and furniture. My feet sunk into the carpeted floor. We were at my trailer.

Grampa in his striped pajamas and a navy blue robe sat on his favorite rocking chair, his long graying hair a spiky mess around his shoulders. It looked like he’d run his fingers through it. He looked up from his watch when we appeared.

I grinned, stepping out of Bran’s arms. “Nine-thirty, here we are,” I said.

“Ninety-twenty-eight,” Grampa corrected and stood. He extended a hand toward Bran. “You kept your word.”

Bran gripped the offered hand and grinned. “I did, sir. I’ll go get your truck now.”

Grampa nodded. “Good. However, next time you decide to take my granddaughter flying, stay within our airspace. The protective shield over the valley doesn’t cover the mountains.”