03: Weakness and Individuality

Start from the beginning

Tomoe's words resonated with Nanami. They were the same words that she had wished to say for so long, but was unable to.

"Tomoe... I---" Nanami was swept away by a powerful gust before she could finish her sentence. Her back was slammed against the steel side of the same tempura stand she had made a purchase from a while ago. The heat from the stand transferred to her skin, burning her back. A pained scream spills from the back of her throat.

"NANAMI!" Tomoe rose from her seat in haste, but before she could do anything a barrier of swirling wind was erected before her, preventing Tomoe from reaching her cousin. Tomoe shouted in her rage, "Where... Who are you---show yourself!" Her cries went unheeded. Instead, streams of air began to cycle around her in a swift and sharp motion. Tomoe was trapped in a spiraling cyclone.

Nanami's vision blurred, but she shook off the dizziness to look around. Anyone who was on the street earlier had fled the scene in terror. She reached out to Tomoe who was surrounded by dangerous whips of air. "Tomoe..." Nanami called out to her weakly.

"Idiot." A young boy about fourteen or so of years stood before Nanami, in her blind spot. He chuckled and ran his fingers through his short locks of messy silver hair. "I knew that girls were stupid and all, but I totally expected better since you are Ienobu's sister. I can't believe you left yourself out in the open for me to attack!" He laughed hysterically. "The name is Zephyr---not that you'll need to remember the name of your executioner." His topaz orbs gleamed with malice. In his left hand, he held a sickle that rested against his shoulder. Flickering red flames emitted from the weapon. His affinity was the storm.

Nanami grimaced at the sight of him. Despite Zephyr's small stature, Nanami could tell that he was strong, much stronger than she was. She glanced around for help and saw a familiar figure from afar. "Alexander." She gasped.

"Long time no see, Nanami-chan," Alexander said. He stood from a distance, watching everything that has happened so far.

"Alexander-sama!" Zephyr called out, waving happily at him.

Nanami was in a daze. "Alexander-sama?" Nanami repeated. Her gaze shifted from Zephyr to Alexander and back. "You sent him?" She asked in a low and reluctant tone.

Nanami had known Alexander from her childhood---they were good friends. Along with Nobu, Alexander would follow Nanami around, making sure that she was kept safe no matter what---much like a princess and her knights. Nanami hated it, but nevertheless, the trio grew closer and closer everyday. That's why she was so unwilling to believe that Alexander would betray her for the title of secondo.

"And if I told you that I did?" Alexander asked without any emotion. He looked over to Zephyr and said, "Zephyr is my storm guardian. Is it really so hard to believe that he is attacking you because I ordered it?"

Nanami remained silent as if gauging the expression on Alexander's face.

"Beg me," he said.

"What?"

"If you beg me to become Secondo then I will save you." Alexander's words pierced at her deeply. His words betrayed his sweet smile.

Nanami's face contorted into an expression of pain and disbelief. She hesitated for a moment before responding with a look of melancholy, "Then don't save me," she said, surprising Alexander. She looked down, concealing the expression on her face.

Not another word was said before a larger and stronger gust than the one before it was conjured. It whipped across the street with tremendous force, heading in Nanami's direction, but no damage was made. Any unnatural winds summoned earlier had vanished. An orange colored glow circles around the circumference of Nanami's form, protecting her. Tomoe, who had been trapped in a cyclone, was now released from its hold. Nanami's breaths became heavy and jagged, but her eyes were fierce.