He grinned. “Here I am, gallantly rushing to your side, and all you notice are my clothes? I felt your anger and pain, thought you were being attacked. What happened?”

I swiped at my cheeks and shook my head. “You felt my anger and pain? How?”

A tinge of red crept on his golden cheeks. “Long story. Tell me what’s going on?”

He was embarrassed. Now more than ever I was intrigued. “No, you quit hedging and talk to me. How you can you feel my emotions from…Xenith? Do you have other powers you forgot to mention?”

He was out of the truck and opening the driver’s door before I could blink. “Come on. Move over to the passenger seat and start talking. I’m driving.” His voice had lost its gentleness.

I glared at him. “Why do you do that?”

“What?”

“Evade my questions.”

“Because we don’t have time and you have an insatiable curiosity, which we just proved can be dangerous. Now, scoot over.” He stared at me with an expression that said he expected me to obey him.

How could he be so sweet one minute, and the next act like a world class jerk? On the other hand, he’d teleported here just because he felt my anger and pain. And he cared about me and thought I was hot. “Ever heard of the word please?”

“Never.” He kept a straight face but the corners of his mouth curled, his dimples flashing.

I laughed, pushed the keys in his hand, and maneuvered my way to the passenger seat.

Bran settled behind the steering wheel and turned to look at me. “Well? What happened?”

I shrugged. “I was ticked off at someone.”

“Who?”

“It doesn’t matter.”

He grinned. “Oh, it does. Whoever you’re pissed at probably has a roaring headache right now.”

“Good.” I hope it kept Kim awake all night.

He chuckled and ran his knuckles along my cheek. “You sure about that?” he asked in a husky voice.

I swallowed and cleared my throat. “She deserved it.”

He shook his head. “You have no idea how much energy you shoot off when you’re pissed, do you?”

I didn’t care. In fact, I didn’t want to discuss Kim or my powers. I pressed my cheek against Bran’s hand, loving the feel of skin against skin. The sweetness of his caring washed over me. I’d been so busy with school and training, I had no idea how much I’d missed Bran until now. And although Grampa didn’t approve of our friendship, I couldn’t send him away. I didn’t want to. Bran was the only person who accepted me without question. When he reached for the ignition, I covered his hand with mine.

“I don’t feel like going home just yet.”

He cocked an eyebrow. “Where would you like to go?”

“Somewhere quiet with no people.” My stomach chose that moment to growl. “And plenty to eat.”

He hesitated and frowned. Heat crawled up my face. His hesitation could only mean he didn’t want to be alone with me. I swallowed my disappointment and looked at my hands. “You know what? Forget it. Just take me home.”

Bran lifted my chin and shook his head as his gaze locked with mine. “No, I want us to have dinner together. I know just the perfect place.” A reckless glint appeared in his eyes. “I want to show you something.”