Robyn puckers her lips. "I don't know, Braylen."

        "Yeah," I agree, focusing back on the game board. After a few more quick moves, I trap her king. "Checkmate," I mumble halfheartedly. I grab my backpack and get up from the bench, leaving the bright green field as quickly as possible.

¥

        I tap my foot nervously as Robyn pulls out from my house and heads onto the freeway in her mom's car. She was dressed in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, looking much less put together than she forced me to be. I was in a dark silk shirt with purple and blue floral print along with my favorite black jeans and a few chains.

        "You really think this is going to work? Whatever 'this' is?" I ask, gnawing on my bottom lip.

        Robyn glances over at me, her brown eyes bright with hope. "If you let it. Just trust me."

        I nod, breathing deeply. I'd been waiting anxiously all week for Friday to come. I wasn't exactly sure what Robyn had planned, but I was looking forward to having some answers.

        After about thirty minutes, Robyn pulls up to a brightly colored building. There was a small line leading into and what looked like bodyguards admitting them in. I gasp, turning to Robyn. "You brought me to a club?!"

        "No," she mumbles, shrinking into the seat. "I brought you to a gay club."

        I balk, mouth opening and closing as I try to find words to say. "You—this—Robyn, I cannot go in there!"

        "Why not? It's not like you'll see anyone you know! I think this could be good for you, Bray. You're too uptight sometimes. You could let loose and have fun," Robyn argues, voice persistently.

        I look up at the fluorescent red and blue lights with the club's name. The Pub. I sigh.

        "It's 21 and over, Robs," I argued weakly. "I won't get in."

        She digs into her pocket, pulling out a small card. "You really thought I didn't think of that?"

        She hands me the card and I take a look at it, a frown forming on my face as I take in the fake ID. "Evan Michael North. 100 pounds, what—? Robyn, this is ridiculous!"

        "Go! I promise I will be right here the second you come out," she says, grinning brightly.

         I glance at her. "You're not coming with me?"

         Robyn shakes her head, reaching over and grabbing my hands. "You deserve a night to be who you truly are, Braylen. So go in there and find yourself. Have fun. Not for me, though. For yourself."

         I smile softly at her and nod. "Okay."

        With a deep breath and shaky hands, I climb out of the car and hurry across the street to fall into line with the other people. They looked mostly normal, save for a few people wearing wigs and tons of makeup. I looked at those people closely, wondering how they were so secure with themselves to be who they wanted to be.

        By the time I get up to the jumper, I'm a ball of nerves. I turn to look at Robyn in the car and she shoots me two thumbs up. I smile at her and turn to the jumper. "ID, please," he mutters, sounding bored.