Chapter 20: Salvation

Start from the beginning

"Yes, he had to," Din answers for you. "But he's not a living thing."

You smile slightly at that. "So, your Creed isn't broken."

Din gives you a reassuring nod. Your smile grows, and you feel your chest warm up when he gently rests his helmet against the side of your head.

"As much as I love your affectionate reunion, we need guidance," Cara reminds you, gesturing to the two possible paths. "Mando, do you know which way to go?"

Din heaves a breath, and you try to take more of his weight. "I think... right," he instructs. "Take the right one."

The group does as he says, taking a right and continuing down that path. Din continues to guide the group through the other turns, using both his memory and his tracking abilities to do so. At one point, he pauses, trying to take his own weight again. You unwrap your arm from around him as he stands firmly. Din gives you a nod, and you understand what he means. He instead goes on to take your hand—likely just for the sake of reminding yourselves that you haven't lost each other yet, like you thought you would—and continues his guidance.

When you start to truly recognize where you are inside the tunnels, Din suddenly stops. You freeze beside him, watching as the light of his helmet focuses on something ahead. Your eyes nearly jump out of your head as you spot the large pile of shattered Mandalorian helmets, stacked neatly as if to display some kind of horrible act. Din slowly reaches up to turn his light off, dropping your hand and practically falling to his knees in front of it. You want to comfort him, but also know you have to let him have this moment, and your heart continues to sink deeper into your stomach as you watch him slowly reach for a helmet and observe it with trembling hands.

After a long, tense silence full of watching Din mourn his old family, Cara finally walks up next to Din with caution. You watch her with careful eyes, seeing her peer over Din's shoulder as she speaks hesitantly. "We should go," Cara insists in a soft voice.

"You go," Din chokes out. "Take the ship. I can't leave it this way."

You shake your head. Din had already made you leave him once—and you weren't going to do it again. Before you have a chance to voice this, though, Din continues.

"Did you know about this?" Din seethes in Karga's direction, and you know you've only heard him this angry once: when the gang was hurting you. "Is this the work of your bounty hunters?"

"No!" Karga assures him, his voice sounding full of shock. "When you left the system and took the prize, the fighting ended, and the hunters just melted away. You know how it is!" Din looks back at the helmet, and you can sense his anger only growing. Karga looks even more eager to express his innocence to Din as he goes on. "They're mercenaries, they're not zealots!"

Din sets the helmet down in a firm yet gentle manner, rising quickly from his knees. "Did you do this?" Din demands roughly, marching in Karga's direction. He then points an accusing finger into Karga's chest. "Did you?" A chill runs through your spine at Din's aggressive tone.

"No!" Karga exclaims back with a furrowed brow.

"It was not his fault," a familiar voice suddenly rings out, and your group looks to see the Mandalorian with the golden helmet you'd met what feels like years ago—the Armorer, you remind yourself. She continues to walk towards the mass of helmets, pulling a hovercart next to her. "We revealed ourselves. We knew what could happen if we left the covert. The Imperials arrived shortly thereafter." The Armorer picks up some of the armor from the pile, observing it and placing it into her cart. "This is what resulted."

Din stands anxiously for a few moments, shifting between his feet as he stares at the Armorer. You wish you could comfort him, but you decide to stay where you are, not wanting to put him over the edge. "Did any survive?" his modulated voice asks lowly, as if he fears the answer.