Just Like a Poison

Start from the beginning

"We have to get Naruto out of here!"

He just stared at her and she struggled to keep from falling apart. Chakra was thick in the area and she could she could feel the way Itachi and Orochimaru were fighting each other. It was getting difficult to breath.

"Sasuke, please!"

Just as she thought she was going to have to haul Naruto out of the way by herself Sasuke moved, settling beside her to grasp one of his arms.

"Thank you."

Sasuke just grunted as she bent to lift the other half of their fallen comrade. Slinging Naruto's arm over her shoulder, she bunched her free hand in the back of Sasuke's shirt. He didn't say anything, just looked to her for confirmation that she was ready before they leapt into the trees.

The sound of the battle faded as they retreated deeper into the Forest of Death. The fog of chakra expanding from Itachi and Orochimaru's battle clouded Sakura's senses completely, and they ran until the air was a little lighter and it became easier to breathe.

Carefully, they eased Naruto down against a tree and Sasuke took a few steps forward to secure the perimeter.

"Sasuke-kun... that was Orochimaru." Sakura couldn't help but shiver at the name. It was a dark name, tainted with evil and betrayal and it held more power over Academy students than the boogey-man. "Should we tell someone? I mean...he shouldn't be in Konoha. The Hokage should know about this. That's more important than getting any scrolls or being made chunin, we have to protect the village-"

Sakura abruptly shut her mouth. She was babbling. Sasuke-kun knew all this. But shouldn't they go do something?

"Don't bother," Sasuke didn't even bother turning around. His hands were clenched into fists, flexing at his sides. "Itachi's there."

Well, yes, she agreed that Itachi was very certainly there, but he was only one shinobi against one of the legendary sannin. Against Orochimaru.

He could be coming back for them at any time. Oh kami... Sakura shuddered, remembering the killing intent in Orochimaru's eyes.

"But Sasuke-kun-"

Sasuke whirled around to face her, his sharingan twirling, "I said don't bother. Just take care of the dobe. We'll be moving soon."

Sakura stared at him with wide eyes, desperately attempting to understand what was going through his mind. He was right though, and dealing with Naruto would give her something to concentrate on other than how badly her hands were shaking. Swallowing hard, she hid a sniffle by reaching for her pack.

Biting her lip, she pulled out the roll of bandages she had packed and set about dealing with Naruto's head wound and the cut on his ribs. Sasuke was silent as she worked and she took a deep breath, rubbing her cheeks with the back of her hands.

"Come here."

The bright red of Sasuke's eyes clashed with hers and she took another breath.

"I need to check that cut."

"It's fine." He dismissed her, turning his back.

"Sasuke," the voice was quiet and low and Sakura spun, kunai firmly in hand as she crouched over Naruto. The air in her lungs dispelled in a huge breath as she saw Sasuke's brother. There was blood on his face that she didn't think was his and the sharingan was spinning in his eyes as he took in the area.

Sasuke's hands clenched into fists so hard and quick, Sakura winced. She straightened up from her attack stance when she recognized their rescuer, but she did not loosen her grip on her kunai. There was more going on here than she understood.